What readers think of How to Be Safe, plus links to write your own review.

How to Be Safe

Kate Braithwaite

There is 1 reader review for How to Be Safe

Michael Haughton

How to Be Safe
I will honestly state firstly that my opinion on this novel is in no way aimed at the writer as any personal attack, But merely to express my own closely held observations.

I will go on to add this brief summary I got from reading it, then I will tell my review with all honesty.

Recently suspended for a so-called outburst, high school English teacher Anna Crawford is stewing over the injustice at home when she is shocked to see herself named on television as a suspect in a shooting at the school where she works.

Though she is quickly exonerated, and the actual teenage murderer identified, her life is nevertheless held up for relentless scrutiny.

I found more than ever that the writer was illogical in expression and distorted in making phrases and plots. I was thinking that the writer wanted the readers to experience absurd reasoning which would help to frame the scenes.

But how can some of these thinking be. For example, In the first chapter called "April" the writer went on to say that the sun will fall right in the lake and make a splash and she saw it happened. Also the writer went on to say Anna heard the gun fired at school and it sounds like a car accident or a distant construction. When in fact she was home that day.

Calvin her brother used a curse word "mother fucker" when the reporter asked him about Anna and that was the only excited line that caught my attention. I'm not sure the writer was thinking of other readers that don't take kindly to curse words.

Survivor's Guilt

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Wrong End of the Telescope
    The Wrong End of the Telescope
    by Rabih Alameddine
    Rabih Alameddine's The Wrong End of the Telescope follows Mina, a Lebanese American doctor who ...
  • Book Jacket: Lightning Strike
    Lightning Strike
    by William Kent Krueger
    It is the summer of 1963 in Tamarack County, Minnesota. Just outside the small town of Aurora, ...
  • Book Jacket: Skinship
    Skinship
    by Yoon Choi
    The fine thing about short stories in general is their way of following characters through ...
    The Last Mona Lisa
    by Jonathan Santlofer
    In 1911, the Mona Lisa disappeared from its home at the Louvre in Paris. It took two years for the ...

Morningside Heights
by Joshua Henkin
A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

Flesh & Blood
    by N. West Moss

This beautifully written memoir offers insight, understanding, and joy.

Win This Book!
Win Sisters of the Great War

Sisters of the Great War by Suzanne Feldman

A powerful novel of two unconventional American sisters who volunteer at the front during World War I.

Y A B Up T W T