Reader reviews and comments on Sunburn, plus links to write your own review.

Sunburn

Norah Piehl

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Sunburn

Sandi W.

Secrets abound...
Great book of secrets and suspense. Even though I don't like love stories, this romance was so much more. Two people, Polly and Adam, found each other when they were both very vulnerable. Each had their own secrets, each running from something, each working towards something, as their summer affair boiled.

Then came a death. Was it planned? Was it an accident? How does life go on? What does the future hold for Adam and Polly? A great little novel full of secrets.

Laura Lippman the author is right on with this novel. Great suspense, good character development, just the right amount of romance to carry the story. She keeps you turning the pages, reading more, wanting more, trying to decide the outcome of the story. It surprised me, and made this book very enjoyable.
Michael Haughton

Sunburn by Laura Lippman
The writer started off in the first chapter real good as it the start was based off the theme of the book. The main character was keeping a keen eye in this Lady that had this "sunburn" which was the book's title. But somehow I was lost in the big explanation of the bar/lounge name. Why did the writer try to make some logical the reason behind the name the business got, "High- ho"? I don't think that make any sense was just a waste of time by the writer.

The writer got mixed up in the first chapter by placing two scenarios in the lines of what was the lady doing about the sun burns. Whether waiting to see if some man would rub it or she leave with some one he would be surprised. But later down in the line said he would not be shocked. I didn't like the illogicality of this argument.

This sounds a little ridiculous as the main character was Ken. Here he sits in a lounge stalking out a lady and the writer telling readers that women always think he love women that were barbie type. I didn't know how that fits into the line cause he was on a job that minute.

Why would the writer portray the of character of Ken by stating how he behaves with women that flirts with him as skittle nervous it would make him? I'm not really happy with this kind of character. He should be more of a confident type with the ladies, as he has to interact with them to get information as with this lady he just met and stalking.

"The red head is furniture" I don't know what the writer was thinking with this phrase but it definitely didn't move any waves for me.in fact it was so far fetch into what the story line was in.

I can't understand why the writer didn't give or use each character's name other than using descriptive words such as red head etc. It doesn't give any way to intellect at all especially to the readers. I have to keep wondering about the direction of the story when this is done by the writer.

Over the course of a punishing summer, Polly and Adam abandon themselves to a steamy, inexorable affair. Still, each holds something back from the other - dangerous, even lethal, secrets.

Then someone dies. Was it an accident, or part of a plan? By now, Adam and Polly are so ensnared in each other's lives and lies that neither one knows how to get away - or even if they want to. Is their love strong enough to withstand the truth, or will it ultimately destroy them?

Something - or someone - has to give. Good story line but not good enough for me in a few respects so my rating for this novel is 2 out of 5

James M. Cain's Noir Novels

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing
    by Hank Green

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

Paris Echo
    by Sebastian Faulks

A story of resistance, complicity, and an unlikely, transformative friendship.

A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne

A seductive, unputdownable psychodrama following one brilliant, ruthless man.

Win Severance