Reader reviews and comments on The Wife Between Us, plus links to write your own review.

The Wife Between Us

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 5 reader reviews for The Wife Between Us

Mary Challis

WOO HOOO! BRILLIANT
OMG!!! This book is fantastic!! Part One is a page turner, but as soon as you read the last page of that section and start Part Two you MUST give up life as you know It and dedicate it to this book!! The authors wrote it so well I was surprised, but thoroughly enjoyed the twists and turns. Every part was wrapped up so well, I wasn't left hanging. This is a must read book!!!
Jess

A-MAZ-ING!
Holy cow! This book is why I read psychological thrillers! It puts the maze in amazing! When I say I had to go back and reread certain parts just to be sure I didn't misread something or just miss a part altogether, I don't mean it in a bad way...I mean it messed with my head to the point I didn't know if I could trust the words I just read on a previous page....and I LOVED it! It left me second and third guessing everyone and everything! The characters came to life in such a way that I felt I was trying to fight my way out of their mess right along with them! Can not wait for another fantastic read from Sarah and Greer!
lani

Assume Nothing
When a book makes you literally gasp midway, you can bet that you have your hands on a winner. The twists and turns in this novel were totally unpredictable and enthralling. Vanessa Thompson's ex is about to be married to another woman. She has been left with nothing after a seemingly blissful marriage complete with travel, expensive clothes and jewelry. Now she lives with her maiden aunt and has a job at Saks Fifth Avenue. She begins to stalk the woman to try to convince her to not marry him. However, NOTHING is like it seems. The novel keeps turning itself on its head with great intrigue of lies, duplicity and cheating...A perfect way to start off the new year with a terrific read.
Steph

Dark and twisty
I want to avoid as much plot as possible because I don’t want to ruin a single thing. There are some fantastic twisty bits to The Wife Between Us that genuinely run you over like a semi truck and I don’t want to offer any hints. I did have to go back and reread some portions to try and suss out exactly what was going on. You’ll need to use your brain a bit for this one.

Vanessa, ex-wife to Richard, is down on her luck and living in a small apartment with her aunt. Post divorce, she’s gone from housewife to retail hell at Saks. She’s an addict, alcohol being her drug of choice. I think that was one major thing that bothered me about The Wife Between Us. It’s very en vogue these days to use alcohol issues as the perfect foil to create an unreliable narrator. It’s been done several times and ways and every time I’m left feeling a little cold.

Nellie, Richard’s soon to be new wife, is the anti-Vanessa. She’s bright, teaches pre-school and is a genuinely happy and refreshing interval every other chapter. Where Vanessa is dark and brooding, Nellie is light and joyful… until Richard’s ex starts to turn up. Or so it seems.

Initially I gave The Wife Between Us three stars. Then I thought about the book for a few days, always a good sign, and bumped it to 3.5. And then I sat down to review it today and thought “what the heck” and put it up to four. The fact that I’m still thinking about it even two weeks later means it has stuck with me, and with as many books as I read that’s quite an accomplishment.
Mal

Disappointing
Disappointing. No suspense and the twists were silly. There was no real chemistry between the characters, they felt wooden. The tempo of the plot dragged on, and I realized early on the direction of characters and plot. The ending was flat and safe. The bones of the narrative has been written countless times before, nothing special in this interpretation. Totally not what I was hoping for.

The Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon

• Book Jacket: A Ladder to the Sky
    A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne
    Of our 44 First Impression readers, 32 gave A Ladder to the Sky a four- or five-star review for an ...
  • Book Jacket: In Extremis
    And The Ocean Was Our Sky
    by Patrick Ness

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne

A seductive, unputdownable psychodrama following one brilliant, ruthless man.

Win Severance