MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Mothers of Sparta, plus links to write your own review.

Mothers of Sparta

Jan 2019, 272 pages

There are currently 30 reader reviews for Mothers of Sparta

Lee M. (Creve Coeur, MO)

Also included...
Two books written as one. Fine author with a nack for neat descriptions and a flair for humor. The chapters do not follow in chronological order but are snippets from a full life, be it single, as a single mother or as a family. Some sections I heartily recommend but I have reservations about others but worth the time spent reading.
Lesley F. (San Diego, CA)

Pieces of a Life
These essays put into book form make a loose memoir of this woman's life. I have not read anything as brutally honest as this. I laughed out loud, cried, and recognized some of the pain and could not put it down. It is an amazingly laid-bare tale. The essay in the middle re: the men is silly and funny, some folk will think it doesn't belong but I think it does! Her second husband deserves that essay alone. I so hope that her life somehow evens out. I will be passing this along to friends and relatives. Book groups could really have a great time with this one.
Kathy (ME)

Eclectic Essays
The book jacket for Dawn Davies' essays led me to believe this would be a series of essays about an angst-filled and reluctant mother, but I was pleasantly surprised to find a set of eclectic personal essays that range in topics and tone. The essays are not necessarily sequential and the end result is a kaleidoscopic view of Davies' life - she honestly reveals both heart-breaking and humorous stories of her life without all of the connective tissue that can sometimes bog down a typical memoir. The essays that resonate the most are those at the beginning and end of the collection where she honestly explores loss, death, illness, and parenting in trying circumstances.

Many of the essays do explore parenting but I would not describe this as a book about motherhood, nor does Davies ever appear as the reluctant mother the book jacket implies; rather she is devoted and often easy to relate to. The essays in the middle of the collection are often funny but some felt like "filler" essays of the type you might read in a women's magazine. However, the biggest detractor to the book was Davies' habit of slipping into 2nd person perspective when relating personal stories, sometimes for whole essays and sometimes for short passages. Still, Davies' heart and talent shine throughout and this is a lovely collection.
Diane D. (Blairstown, NJ)

Disturbing Life
I have no idea what I was expecting, but I did find similarities, at times, in Dawn's life and mine...as well as those of my children & friends. Her aloneness (I guess that's not really a word, but it fits with what I read about her.) is different than other people I've known, but maybe you don't recognize that in others.

Since we have grandchildren with Autism, Special Needs, etc., I was interested to read about that, but the ending really bothered me...and still does. I was glad to come to the end of the book.
Gail B. (Albuquerque, NM)

Motherhood
Who are Mothers of Sparta? Dawn Davies, in a series of essays about motherhood, writes, eventually, about her own experience of refusing to be a Spartan Mom willing to sacrifice her own damaged son.

Some chapters drew her as a self-indulgent hypochondriac with miserable pregnancies, colicky babies, smelly diapers, that nearly every mom experiences (unless she has a nanny). Some made me weep; some, howl with laughter. Poor girl, her life was a mess, but fortunately she managed to find a strong, kind husband who propped her up during the darkest hours.

I do feel her editor would have served her better by rearranging the essays so that the reader could understand sooner why, or if, she was a Mother of Sparta, rather than just another young wife with too many babies, too close together, with no support from a selfish husband. I believe this would have made her a more sympathetic character. Although to me this book was flawed, I wish her well and look forward to more Dawn Davies.
Marylou Crane

Wrong Title
Not only wrong title, but wrong chapter. Hard to find a section to hold my attention, very limp. Would not recommend this book to any of the book clubs I belong too. Better luck next time, Dawn.

Spartan Mothers

• Book Jacket: Race Against Time
    Race Against Time
    by Jerry Mitchell
    Jerry Mitchell spent nearly three decades trailing cold cases from the Civil Rights Movement. As a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Resisters
    The Resisters
    by Gish Jen
    Gish Jen's The Resisters depicts a future United States, dubbed AutoAmerica, where climate change ...
  • Book Jacket: The Mercies
    The Mercies
    by Kiran Millwood Hargrave
    It's 1617 and a violent storm has claimed the lives of 40 fishermen off the coast of Vardø, a ...
    Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...

The Mountains Sing
    by Nguyen Phan Que Mai

An enveloping, multigenerational tale set against the backdrop of the Viet Nam War.

I Want You to Know We're Still Here
    by Esther Safran Foer

"A vivid testimony to the power of memory."
    - Kirkus (starred review)

The Things They Carried
by Tim O'Brien

The classic, ground-breaking meditation on war and the redemptive power of storytelling.

Win Mostly Dead Things

Mostly Dead Things
by Kristen Arnett

"Hilarious, deeply morbid, and full of heart."
- BuzzFeed