Reader reviews and comments on The Chalk Man, plus links to write your own review.

The Chalk Man

Dec 2018, 288 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for The Chalk Man

Jean L

Good read
This is a quickly read book as it holds your attention. I found it riveting. The back and forth in time did not bother me as much as I thought it might. Each chapter had the year posted at the beginning.'I would recommend it to any readers who like thrillers.
Linda W. (Arlington, TX)

Excellent!
The Chalk Man has only one narrator and two time periods, making it a welcome relief after some recent suspense novels that had too many characters and too much switching back and forth of time periods.
When Eddie is 12 years old, terrible things happen in his village, and he tells us how he remembers them. When he's 42, he's still living in the same house in the same village and bad things start happening again, involving the same people. But is he telling the whole story? Is he an unreliable narrator?
A very well written, suspenseful and believable novel.
Carolyn (Summerville,SC)

Who Is The Chalk Man?
I enjoyed this book. It held my interest throughout, and drew me back to read more late at night. I am getting tired of books that switch back and forth through time, but that format did work here, for the most part. The story was quite suspenseful, and there were surprises, but I was glad that one suspicion I had proved to be true. Glad I read this one!
Diane S. (El Paso, TX)

Who is the chalk man?
Who is the chalk man? That was the question hovering in the back of my mind as I became engrossed in this suspenseful and dark thriller. The author effectively shifts back and forth from events that occurred in 1986 to what's happening in 2016 as the mystery unravels. The characters are well-developed, and I particularly appreciated the author's dry sense of humor. And then there is the uber-creepy ending...yikes! If you love a well-constructed mystery, The Chalk Man doesn't disappoint.
Mary Jane D. (Arlington Heights, IL)

Page Turner
C.J. Tudor's first thriller The Chalk Man is a great read and hard to put down. From the first page to the last there are twists and turns and secrets revealed to help unravel unfortunate occurrences and a gruesome murder. The characters are slowly developed both as children and adults to make the outcomes understandable. Just when I thought I had figured things out another detail would be revealed. I would recommend this book to those who like mysteries and thrillers. I would definitely read another book by this author and hope she writes one soon!
Kristen H. (Hagerstown, MD)

Hard to Erase
Great thriller! Just when I thought that I had it figured out, there was a great plot twist. I loved how it went from past to current and it wasn't confusing at all. This author was excellent in setting up the scene in each chapter - well written and definitely pulled you in to read just one more chapter no matter how late it was. This was one of those books that keeps you up and turning the next page but yet you hate to have it end.
Jeff M. (Somerset, NJ)

The Chalk Man
Alternating between 1986 and 2016, secrets and unintended consequences abound in this very well written first novel by CJ Tudor. Particularly notable is her ability to get into the minds of what twelve year olds are thinking (circa 1986) and her poignant descriptions of the ravages of dementia on individuals and families. Plot advances well in both time periods with a number of surprises along the way. Well developed characters and a satisfying read. Would recommend.
Molly K. (San Jose, CA)

Hopscotch
Hopscotch. Chalk Man had me at page 1 and never let go. I refer to the language and the writing style. I marked a number of passages to read and reread and will use one of them as the introduction to a discussion I am leading later this week. A few brought forth a tear or two. Credit to the author, of course.

The story is fascinating and heart-breaking, a coming of age tale that left the children without oars to navigate their lives. Each character (children, adults, and children as adults) is unique, with motivations and flaws that could only erupt in sadness and defeat. I wanted to root for one of the children, but was left hanging and empty.

All in all, a well-crafted story with lots of twists and turns (like hopscotch) and chalk to keep the game going. I often wished the story was a bit less creepy. Again, the writing is precious, and I will look forward to more from C.J. Tudor. A winner.

Sidewalk Chalk

• Book Jacket: Savage Feast
    Savage Feast
    by Boris Fishman
    I adore authors who not only write about the big themes that possess them, but also drop little ...
  • Book Jacket: Lost Children Archive
    Lost Children Archive
    by Valeria Luiselli
    Lost Children Archive is a feast of language and storytelling that chronicles a family road trip ...
  • Book Jacket: The World According to Fannie Davis
    The World According to Fannie Davis
    by Bridgett M. Davis
    Devoted daughter Bridgett M. Davis was always inspired by her mother Fannie, who provided stability,...
  • Book Jacket: Territory of Light
    Territory of Light
    by Yuko Tsushima
    Set in Tokyo during the late 1970s, Yūko Tsushima's Territory of Light chronicles a year in the...

Book Club
The Half-Life of Everything
by Deborah Carol Gang

A beautifully written and uplifting debut novel.

The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls
    by Anissa Gray

A dazzling debut novel!

The Night Tiger
    by Yangsze Choo

"Wonderfully combines a Holmes-esque plot with Chinese lore."
    --PW, starred review

Win The Climate Report

The Climate Report

"The most comprehensive assessment of the effects of climate change on the United States."
–The New York Times