What readers think of Little Fires Everywhere, plus links to write your own review.

Little Fires Everywhere

Erin Szczechowski

There are currently 5 reader reviews for Little Fires Everywhere

lani

A book club's dream
Wouldn't I love to be a fly on the wall listening to the animated discussion in book clubs following the reading of this superb novel. This is a novel that demands a book club and is destined to be one of the hottest picks for 2017.The Richardson family live an ordinary planned and privileged life in Shaker Heights, Ohio where the lawns are mowed, the gardens beautifully planted and neighbors are people you can count on. Mrs.Richardson dwells in this "perfect" existence with her four children and lawyer husband counting her harmony with a morally elitist sense of right vs wrong. Enter non materialistic Mia, an avant garde artist and photographer who lives life outside the box , and her teenage daughter Pearl.They roll into town and rent an apt from the Richardsons. However, Mia carries a deep dark secret that will upend both families' lives when unearthed. As Mia and Pearl become deeply insinuated in the Richardson's lives, issues of motherhood arise. Is someone defined as a mother by virtue of birth or by love or both? Ng provides a fairly conventional plot with quick pacing but the characters and questions drew me in. Jump in people and let's discuss..
techeditor

Maybe this rates just 3 - average or maybe 4
LITTLE FIRES EVERYWHERE, by my estimation, rates three or four stars out of five. I’ll give it four.

It starts out dull, a book about suburban teenagers. I’m an adult; teenagers bore me nowadays. But this book eventually turns out to be about adults, too. So it gets better.

As a matter of fact, it’s hard to say who the main characters are; there are several possibilities. LITTLE FIRES EVERYWHERE is a mystery told from the points of view of different characters, both teenagers and adults.

Blurbs I read call this book a thriller, but it’s not. I think some people use the words “thriller” and “mystery" interchangeably. LITTLE FIRES EVERYWHERE is a mystery: Who lit the little fires everywhere? And the phrase ”little fires everywhere" is treated both literally and nonliterally in this book.

The story starts out with the fire, then it’s flashback. Different mysteries go on then, all leading up to the fire.

The flashback begins with Mia and her teenage daughter who come to Shaker Heights, Ohio with all their belongings fit into their VW Rabbit. (There’s another mystery for you: that VW Rabbit is 20 years old, and they’re still driving it cross country. Really?) The landlady of their apartment they settle in also lives in Shaker Heights in a beautiful home and has four teenagers of her own. If I had to pick the main characters, they would be these six people.

Everyone has secrets from one another, and sometimes the secrets are mysteries to the reader, too. Some of the secrets come out and the mysteries are resolved. My criticism of this book, though, is that I had too many questions in the end. At least we learn who lit the little fires everywhere.
rc

hurry up and finish it
I had to read this book for my book club's sake.
The story itself is alright; it could have been really good. The writing style made it hard to follow the story lines. At one point it seemed that the writer simply threw in any and every idea and name and street corner and time frame that came to her/his mind. It was hard to get connected to one story line as a new one kept opening up.
I was relieved to have finished reading it.
Carol

Waste of time
I tried reading this book 3 times, as it was on the list of books for our community book club. The book labors along, not really offering the reader anything new in terms of plot, or characterization. This book might be more appropriate for high school girls, or for someone, who has never read Patchett, or Donna Tartt, authors that really deliver a masterful book. Total waste of time.
poppy

Borrrrrring!
1. As I read, I felt as if I were slogging through deep water. Too many words were unnecessary to the plot, or to the setting. I kept wanting the author to get on with it, because I was so tired of treading water.
2. I didn't really believe any of the characters in the book. They were figures designed by the author to meet her plot demands, rather than robust human beings.
3. Often I didn't understand either their motives or their actions, because they seemed to interfere in the lives of others without justification.
4. Most of all, I was bored out of my skull. It's all Donald Trump's fault. I keep telling folks that he is making a MEAN person out of me!!!

Books on Adoption

Join and Save 20%!

Become a member and
discover exceptional books.

• Book Jacket: I'm the Girl
    I'm the Girl
    by Courtney Summers
    YA author Courtney Summers doesn't believe in shielding her teenage readers from the world's darkest...
  • Book Jacket: They're Going to Love You

by Lars Mytting

Members Recommend

Dinosaurs
    by Lydia Millet

"Tender but never sentimental, wearing its intelligence in a low-slung style, Dinosaurs is a garden of earthly delights."—Vogue

W N, W Not

Never read a book through merely because you have begun it