Reader reviews and comments on Little Fires Everywhere, plus links to write your own review.

Little Fires Everywhere

Erin Szczechowski

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Little Fires Everywhere

lani

A book club's dream
Wouldn't I love to be a fly on the wall listening to the animated discussion in book clubs following the reading of this superb novel. This is a novel that demands a book club and is destined to be one of the hottest picks for 2017.The Richardson family live an ordinary planned and privileged life in Shaker Heights, Ohio where the lawns are mowed, the gardens beautifully planted and neighbors are people you can count on. Mrs.Richardson dwells in this "perfect" existence with her four children and lawyer husband counting her harmony with a morally elitist sense of right vs wrong. Enter non materialistic Mia, an avant garde artist and photographer who lives life outside the box , and her teenage daughter Pearl.They roll into town and rent an apt from the Richardsons. However, Mia carries a deep dark secret that will upend both families' lives when unearthed. As Mia and Pearl become deeply insinuated in the Richardson's lives, issues of motherhood arise. Is someone defined as a mother by virtue of birth or by love or both? Ng provides a fairly conventional plot with quick pacing but the characters and questions drew me in. Jump in people and let's discuss..
rc

hurry up and finish it
I had to read this book for my book club's sake.
The story itself is alright; it could have been really good. The writing style made it hard to follow the story lines. At one point it seemed that the writer simply threw in any and every idea and name and street corner and time frame that came to her/his mind. It was hard to get connected to one story line as a new one kept opening up.
I was relieved to have finished reading it.
poppy

Borrrrrring!
1. As I read, I felt as if I were slogging through deep water. Too many words were unnecessary to the plot, or to the setting. I kept wanting the author to get on with it, because I was so tired of treading water.
2. I didn't really believe any of the characters in the book. They were figures designed by the author to meet her plot demands, rather than robust human beings.
3. Often I didn't understand either their motives or their actions, because they seemed to interfere in the lives of others without justification.
4. Most of all, I was bored out of my skull. It's all Donald Trump's fault. I keep telling folks that he is making a MEAN person out of me!!!

Books on Adoption

• Book Jacket: With the Fire on High
    With the Fire on High
    by Elizabeth Acevedo
    From Like Water for Chocolate to Ratatouille, writers have recognized the power ...
  • Book Jacket: Lanny
    Lanny
    by Max Porter
    At once beautifully poignant and hauntingly grotesque, Max Porter's Lanny is like an unexpected ...
    Call Me American
    by Abdi Nor Iftin
  • Book Jacket: The Last Collection
    The Last Collection
    by Jeanne Mackin
    What it's about:
    The Last Collection by Jeanne Mackin follows the lives of two internationally ...

Beirut Hellfire Society
    by Rawi Hage

A searing and visionary novel set in 1970s Beirut that asks what it means to live through war.

Book Club
The Guest Book
by Sarah Blake

"An American epic in the truest sense…"
Entertainment Weekly

Win In the Full Light of the Sun

New from Clare Clark!

"Evocative prose and excellent pacing make this fine historical a must-read for art history buffs."
- Publishers Weekly