Reader reviews and comments on Love and Other Consolation Prizes, plus links to write your own review.

Love and Other Consolation Prizes

Jun 19, 2018, 336 pages

There are currently 24 reader reviews for Love and Other Consolation Prizes

PEGGY S

Another winner from Jamie Ford
Another interesting novel about Seattle during the first World's Fair in Seattle. Amazing inside look at a brothel and well documented look at this time period.
Hulananni

Second as good as the first
I loved "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" so I was anxious to read Ford's second novel. I was not disappointed. His characters draw me in. I am sharing their pains and their loves. Great read.
Cassandra E. (Fort Myers, FL)

Love and other consolations
Awesome story. I had no problems when the story went back and forth in time frame. Mr. Ford did a wonderful jobin his research in that time era of Seattle. I know everyone will love this book.
Amber B. (East Sparta, OH)

Sweet, provoking must-read
Love and Other Consolation Prizes describes a world most readers could never imagine... a world in which the most loving home for a preteen boy is a brothel where he works odd jobs, a world in which dementia is perhaps the most gracious gift for an elderly woman.
I found this engrossing book difficult to put down. It expertly examined issues of friendship, love, feminism, survival, and the worth of a human being.
The dual timelines add much to the story in that the 1960s era teases readers with a happyish ending for Ernest and Fahn/Gracie, but you learn that there's so much more to the story.
I'm eager to read more by Jamie Ford.
Shawna (TX)

"People ....can affect our gravity"
Engrossing story set in a little known era in Seattle 1910's and also in the 1960s. Historical fiction lovers will enjoy this novel.

Themes to discuss include what makes a family, human trafficking, who we choose to love and why we make those choices.

Don't miss the author's note at the end of the novel. My favorite line is "There are people in our lives who we love, and lose, and forever long for. They orbit our hearts like Halley's Comet, crossing into our universe only once, or if we're lucky, twice in a lifetime. And when they do, they affect our gravity."
Amy P. (Boulder City, NV)

A Pleasure to Read
It was a pleasure to read Love & Other Consolation Prizes, historical fiction based on true events. The story alternates between early and mid-century Seattle Worlds Fairs, following the main characters from childhood to their golden years. Author Jamie Ford vividly describes the despair of a young orphan sold into slavery, the sights and sounds of the wondrous Worlds Fair five decades apart, and the tender love story of friends, family, and the fragile threads that intertwine their lives and their loyalties. This book covers a myriad of topics including medical treatments, immigration, Suffragette movement, in addition to the deeply moving descriptions of each character; their emotions and motives.

It was a double pleasure to be able to read this book during a return visit to Seattle. Ford's eloquent style of writing and attention to detail makes one forget this is a work of fiction!
Deanna W. (Port Jefferson, NY)

Bitter& Sweet
Another historic novel that reflects the history and society of its times. This excellent novel was inspired by true events that occurred at the 1909 Seattle World's Fair. Through flashback and flash-forward chapters the reader follows the life of a boy that is raffled off at the fair. The story deals with themes of family, prejudice, identity, and fitting in. This is a poignant and subtle novel that is perfect for book groups.
Wanda T. (Garnet Valley, PA)

Love and Other Consolation Prizes
I was looking forward to reading another novel by Jamie Ford, author of "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet". He did not disappoint. "Love and Other Consolation Prizes" was a journey of a young boy through his later life that included sadness, fear, happiness, heartbreak, love, history - a little bit of everything! Similar to "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet", Ford has two narratives. This story starts in 1962, goes back to 1902 and continues to alternate following the life of Yung Kun-ai later known as Ernest Young as he struggles to make the best of the life he was dealt. I don't want to give the impression that this is a depressing story. It is not! It is a heartwarming story of a young child's journey through life and I loved every minute of the journey!

170 Years of World's Fairs