Reader reviews and comments on The Almost Sisters, plus links to write your own review.

The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson X
The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson

Jul 2017, 352 pages
    May 2018, 352 pages

There are currently 28 reader reviews for The Almost Sisters

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

The Almost Sisters
A successful career, an ailing grandmother, a one-night stand, and a Southern family with untold secrets.

Leia had always been close to her grandmother, but did she really know her grandmother? After finding out her grandmother has been suffering with dementia for over 10 years, Leia puts the job she loves on hold and goes to Alabama to see what actually is going on.

What Leia finds at her grandmother's home isn't what she had expected, and coupled with her unexpected pregnancy was a bit ?overwhelmed.

Grandmother Birchie and her life-long friend, Wittie, are delightful characters and characters that can no longer live alone, but are putting up a fight.? When the secret in their attic is found, they get a reprieve from having to leave their home becaus?e the Sheriff ordered them to stay in the state.

THE ALMOST SISTERS had a lot of drama? and a lot of love?. I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline, the Southern charm, and especially the characters. They all were lovable, authentic, and sweet in their own way.

THE ALMOST SISTERS was a very enjoyable first book I have read by ?Ms. Jackson?. She has a marvelous writing style and a women’s-fiction-theme-based story with some characters having unusual problems and others with normal, everyday problems that the reader can relate to.

THE ALMOST SISTERS is a touching, endearing book about family.

I would ?recommend THE ALMOST SISTERS to readers who enjoy Southern living and adorable characters you wish you could spend some time with and will miss once you turn the last page.

THE ALMOST SISTERS is a book that will bring you closer to your own loved ones. 5/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for a honest review.
Barbara L. (Novato, CA)

The Almost Sisters
I loved this novel! It is quirky, funny, and bright. I loved the sisters' relationship with each other, so close, yet so different. This is a story of unplanned pregnancy, aging, dementia, class and racial tensions, all packed into one great read!
Carolyn V. (Douglass, KS)

Lovely, Lovely Book
I stayed up late to finish this book. Something I haven't done in a long time. Joshilyn Jackson's use of language was so fun. The book read so easily, yet subjects covered were quite heavy - racism in the South, mixed race children, care of older humans. Leia's character was finely drawn. I felt I knew her, empatized with her problems and admired her thoughtfulness with Batman. On top of all this a couple of mystery elements were effectively thrown into the mix.
Margaret A. (Akron, OH)

Perspective
The story takes place in the South. It is about one family in particular and one sister is the main protagonist. That being said it is about family dynamics, lifestyles, hopes and wishes. Perspectives on family, neighbors and even different perspectives of the south. And there is a twist. Very well written.
Tawana J. (Brownsville, VT)

Almost Sisters
I loved this book, it was a page turner and quite funny characters. This is a book I would read again. Will recommend to anyone who likes a little mystery and light-hearted plot.
Jean L. (Independence, KS)

It has everything that I like in a book.
Very likable characters, good plot. I very much enjoyed reading it. It is a quick read. It has some mystery and very good interaction between characters.
Pam M. (Lake Mary, FL)

Wonderful unusual multi-layered read!
OHMYSOUL I could not put this book down. Judging by this reading alone, Joshilyn Jackson is quite the gifted author and I will now read every other one of her books I can find. The story is so intricately woven around a small Southern family - mostly females (and all that entails!) - caught in the web of tradition, correctness, life and human nature. It was funny, sad, happy and thought-provoking and I didn't realize just how puzzled I was about the title until it clicked. Oh my! A perfectly wonderful read!!
Sharon R. (Deerfield, IL)

Sisters Rule!
This is an amazing novel filled with family, laughter, love and drama in the still racially biased contemporary South. Many siblings remember events in their family's lives differently, in this story our two sets of "almost sisters" have to come together to help solve the dramas in their current lives. There are secrets galore, some small and some so large that they overshadow what is most important - the love sisters share with one another. Many people have commented on Ms. Jackson's writing and I have to add that she writes with so much care and empathy. You find your self cheering on every character in the story. I wanted them all to find peace with their secrets and to realize how important family ties are. I am looking forward to finding Joshilyn Jackson's other books. A great Book Club book, so much to discuss.

Female Comic Book Writers

• Book Jacket: With the Fire on High
    With the Fire on High
    by Elizabeth Acevedo
    From Like Water for Chocolate to Ratatouille, writers have recognized the power ...
  • Book Jacket: Lanny
    Lanny
    by Max Porter
    At once beautifully poignant and hauntingly grotesque, Max Porter's Lanny is like an unexpected ...
    Call Me American
    by Abdi Nor Iftin
  • Book Jacket: The Last Collection
    The Last Collection
    by Jeanne Mackin
    What it's about:
    The Last Collection by Jeanne Mackin follows the lives of two internationally ...

Beirut Hellfire Society
    by Rawi Hage

A searing and visionary novel set in 1970s Beirut that asks what it means to live through war.

Book Club
The Guest Book
by Sarah Blake

"An American epic in the truest sense…"
Entertainment Weekly

Win In the Full Light of the Sun

New from Clare Clark!

"Evocative prose and excellent pacing make this fine historical a must-read for art history buffs."
- Publishers Weekly