Reader reviews and comments on The Almost Sisters, plus links to write your own review.

The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson X
The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson

Jul 2017, 352 pages
    May 2018, 352 pages

There are currently 28 reader reviews for The Almost Sisters

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

The Almost Sisters
A successful career, an ailing grandmother, a one-night stand, and a Southern family with untold secrets.

Leia had always been close to her grandmother, but did she really know her grandmother? After finding out her grandmother has been suffering with dementia for over 10 years, Leia puts the job she loves on hold and goes to Alabama to see what actually is going on.

What Leia finds at her grandmother's home isn't what she had expected, and coupled with her unexpected pregnancy was a bit ?overwhelmed.

Grandmother Birchie and her life-long friend, Wittie, are delightful characters and characters that can no longer live alone, but are putting up a fight.? When the secret in their attic is found, they get a reprieve from having to leave their home becaus?e the Sheriff ordered them to stay in the state.

THE ALMOST SISTERS had a lot of drama? and a lot of love?. I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline, the Southern charm, and especially the characters. They all were lovable, authentic, and sweet in their own way.

THE ALMOST SISTERS was a very enjoyable first book I have read by ?Ms. Jackson?. She has a marvelous writing style and a women’s-fiction-theme-based story with some characters having unusual problems and others with normal, everyday problems that the reader can relate to.

THE ALMOST SISTERS is a touching, endearing book about family.

I would ?recommend THE ALMOST SISTERS to readers who enjoy Southern living and adorable characters you wish you could spend some time with and will miss once you turn the last page.

THE ALMOST SISTERS is a book that will bring you closer to your own loved ones. 5/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for a honest review.
Barbara L. (Novato, CA)

The Almost Sisters
I loved this novel! It is quirky, funny, and bright. I loved the sisters' relationship with each other, so close, yet so different. This is a story of unplanned pregnancy, aging, dementia, class and racial tensions, all packed into one great read!
Carolyn V. (Douglass, KS)

Lovely, Lovely Book
I stayed up late to finish this book. Something I haven't done in a long time. Joshilyn Jackson's use of language was so fun. The book read so easily, yet subjects covered were quite heavy - racism in the South, mixed race children, care of older humans. Leia's character was finely drawn. I felt I knew her, empatized with her problems and admired her thoughtfulness with Batman. On top of all this a couple of mystery elements were effectively thrown into the mix.
Margaret A. (Akron, OH)

Perspective
The story takes place in the South. It is about one family in particular and one sister is the main protagonist. That being said it is about family dynamics, lifestyles, hopes and wishes. Perspectives on family, neighbors and even different perspectives of the south. And there is a twist. Very well written.
Tawana J. (Brownsville, VT)

Almost Sisters
I loved this book, it was a page turner and quite funny characters. This is a book I would read again. Will recommend to anyone who likes a little mystery and light-hearted plot.
Jean L. (Independence, KS)

It has everything that I like in a book.
Very likable characters, good plot. I very much enjoyed reading it. It is a quick read. It has some mystery and very good interaction between characters.
Pam M. (Lake Mary, FL)

Wonderful unusual multi-layered read!
OHMYSOUL I could not put this book down. Judging by this reading alone, Joshilyn Jackson is quite the gifted author and I will now read every other one of her books I can find. The story is so intricately woven around a small Southern family - mostly females (and all that entails!) - caught in the web of tradition, correctness, life and human nature. It was funny, sad, happy and thought-provoking and I didn't realize just how puzzled I was about the title until it clicked. Oh my! A perfectly wonderful read!!
Sharon R. (Deerfield, IL)

Sisters Rule!
This is an amazing novel filled with family, laughter, love and drama in the still racially biased contemporary South. Many siblings remember events in their family's lives differently, in this story our two sets of "almost sisters" have to come together to help solve the dramas in their current lives. There are secrets galore, some small and some so large that they overshadow what is most important - the love sisters share with one another. Many people have commented on Ms. Jackson's writing and I have to add that she writes with so much care and empathy. You find your self cheering on every character in the story. I wanted them all to find peace with their secrets and to realize how important family ties are. I am looking forward to finding Joshilyn Jackson's other books. A great Book Club book, so much to discuss.

Female Comic Book Writers

• Book Jacket: An American Summer
    An American Summer
    by Alex Kotlowitz
    As a Chicagoan, I've become used to the most common reactions when I'm traveling and tell someone ...
  • Book Jacket: The Sun Is a Compass
    The Sun Is a Compass
    by Caroline Van Hemert
    Caroline Van Hemert fell in love with her future husband, Pat, in 2001, discovering they shared a ...
  • Book Jacket: Women Talking
    Women Talking
    by Miriam Toews
    Miriam Toews' Women Talking is a circadian novel, unfolding over a span of just a few hours and ...
  • Book Jacket: Confessions of an Innocent Man
    Confessions of an Innocent Man
    by David R. Dow
    It is circumstance that carries the wave that sweeps trendy Houston restaurateur Rafael Zhettah to ...

When We Left Cuba
    by Chanel Cleeton

An exhilarating historical novel from the author of Next Year in Havana, a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick.

D-Day Girls
    by Sarah Rose

The dramatic story of the extraordinary women recruited by Britain's elite spy agency to help pave the way for Allied victory.

Book Club
Fly Girls
by Keith O'Brien

How five daring women defied all odds and made aviation history.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Women Rowing North

The instant New York Times bestseller

A guide to wisdom, authenticity, and bliss for women as they age.

A B Penny A T U