Reader reviews and comments on The Almost Sisters, plus links to write your own review.

The Almost Sisters

The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson X
The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson

Jul 2017, 352 pages
    Aug 14, 2018, 352 pages

There are currently 27 reader reviews for The Almost Sisters

Barbara L. (Novato, CA)

The Almost Sisters
I loved this novel! It is quirky, funny, and bright. I loved the sisters' relationship with each other, so close, yet so different. This is a story of unplanned pregnancy, aging, dementia, class and racial tensions, all packed into one great read!
Carolyn V. (Douglass, KS)

Lovely, Lovely Book
I stayed up late to finish this book. Something I haven't done in a long time. Joshilyn Jackson's use of language was so fun. The book read so easily, yet subjects covered were quite heavy - racism in the South, mixed race children, care of older humans. Leia's character was finely drawn. I felt I knew her, empatized with her problems and admired her thoughtfulness with Batman. On top of all this a couple of mystery elements were effectively thrown into the mix.
Margaret A. (Akron, OH)

Perspective
The story takes place in the South. It is about one family in particular and one sister is the main protagonist. That being said it is about family dynamics, lifestyles, hopes and wishes. Perspectives on family, neighbors and even different perspectives of the south. And there is a twist. Very well written.
Tawana J. (Brownsville, VT)

Almost Sisters
I loved this book, it was a page turner and quite funny characters. This is a book I would read again. Will recommend to anyone who likes a little mystery and light-hearted plot.
Jean L. (Independence, KS)

It has everything that I like in a book.
Very likable characters, good plot. I very much enjoyed reading it. It is a quick read. It has some mystery and very good interaction between characters.
Pam M. (Lake Mary, FL)

Wonderful unusual multi-layered read!
OHMYSOUL I could not put this book down. Judging by this reading alone, Joshilyn Jackson is quite the gifted author and I will now read every other one of her books I can find. The story is so intricately woven around a small Southern family - mostly females (and all that entails!) - caught in the web of tradition, correctness, life and human nature. It was funny, sad, happy and thought-provoking and I didn't realize just how puzzled I was about the title until it clicked. Oh my! A perfectly wonderful read!!
Sharon R. (Deerfield, IL)

Sisters Rule!
This is an amazing novel filled with family, laughter, love and drama in the still racially biased contemporary South. Many siblings remember events in their family's lives differently, in this story our two sets of "almost sisters" have to come together to help solve the dramas in their current lives. There are secrets galore, some small and some so large that they overshadow what is most important - the love sisters share with one another. Many people have commented on Ms. Jackson's writing and I have to add that she writes with so much care and empathy. You find your self cheering on every character in the story. I wanted them all to find peace with their secrets and to realize how important family ties are. I am looking forward to finding Joshilyn Jackson's other books. A great Book Club book, so much to discuss.
Deborah C. (Seattle, WA)

This book has it all!
I am a huge Joshilyn Jackson fan and was prepared to love this book--I was not disappointed. As usual, the author does a wonderful job of creating believable and relatable characters who are faced with everyday situations. Because she is such a good storyteller, these situations are both realistic and fascinating--I had a hard time putting the book down. I think this would be a great book for book clubs because there are so many important issues ranging from dementia, to marital problems, to unplanned pregnancies. Highly recommend!

Female Comic Book Writers

• Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund