Reader reviews and comments on The Almost Sisters, plus links to write your own review.

The Almost Sisters

The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson X
The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson

Jul 2017, 352 pages
    May 2018, 352 pages

There are currently 28 reader reviews for The Almost Sisters

Esther L. (Newtown, PA)

Almost Sisters is a Winner
With thanks to BookBrowse for the chance to read and review Almost Sisters. I was happy to discover its engaging characters and its deeper conversation about racial prejudice and issues of privilege. Our country has made enormous strides but the racial divide still simmers. Adding the religious prejudices and the roiling immigration issues,a lot of discussion still needs to be faced.
You will root for Leia and the future of her unborn child. Book clubs will find a lot to discuss and enjoy.
Atlanta Vic

Wanted more
I love this author and I really, really wanted to love this book...but I didn't. I loved the southern background, with discussions on southern food, manners and traditions, but I could not for the life of me connect with these characters. I did enjoy the Batman scenario (funny and inventive) - but this book moved along slowly for me. I will continue to read and love this author, though....I'm a big fan!
Nancy K. (Perrysburg, OH)

An Easy Read
I am having a hard time reviewing this book because in my mind it is really 3 books in one. The first part is a rather humorous light hearted "beach read" kind of book. The last half deals with some very serious problems of aging, racism and unmarried mothers. Through out the book a third kind of story weaves in and out, that of Violet and Violence, who are imaginary " graphic characters". I really like the last half of the book, which would make a beautiful short story. The author has talent there is no doubt about that.
Dorothy H. (Folsom, CA)

Summer Book Club Read
Story of sisters in the deep South with a secret in the attic of the family home. many twists and turns. A blend of mystery, romance and history

Female Comic Book Writers

• Book Jacket: Divide Me By Zero
    Divide Me By Zero
    by Lara Vapnyar
    Divide Me By Zero begins with an encounter between the narrator, Katya Geller, a 40-something mother...
  • Book Jacket: Mighty Justice
    Mighty Justice
    by Dovey Johnson Roundtree , Katie McCabe
    What it's about:
    Dovey Johnson Roundtree was one of two lawyers who won the landmark case "Sarah ...
  • Book Jacket: The Seine
    The Seine
    by Elaine Sciolino
    Of the 24 members who reviewed Elaine Sciolino's The Seine: The River that Made Paris for BookBrowse...
  • Book Jacket: Fireborne
    Fireborne
    by Rosaria Munda
    Inspired by classical political theory and the French Revolution, Rosaria Munda's YA debut Fireborne...

The Seine
    by Elaine Sciolino

"A soulful, transformative voyage along the body of water that defines the City of Light."
    —Lauren Collins

Ordinary Girls
    by Jaquira Díaz

Reminiscent of Tara Westover's Educate and Roxane Gay's Hunger--a memoir that reads as electrically as a novel.

Win Home for Erring and Outcast Girls

From the author of
Calling Me Home

An emotionally raw and resonant story of two young women connected by a home for "fallen girls," and inspired by historical events.

W G Up M C D