Reader reviews and comments on The Almost Sisters, plus links to write your own review.

The Almost Sisters

The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson X
The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson

Jul 2017, 352 pages
    May 2018, 352 pages

There are currently 28 reader reviews for The Almost Sisters

Esther L. (Newtown, PA)

Almost Sisters is a Winner
With thanks to BookBrowse for the chance to read and review Almost Sisters. I was happy to discover its engaging characters and its deeper conversation about racial prejudice and issues of privilege. Our country has made enormous strides but the racial divide still simmers. Adding the religious prejudices and the roiling immigration issues,a lot of discussion still needs to be faced.
You will root for Leia and the future of her unborn child. Book clubs will find a lot to discuss and enjoy.
Atlanta Vic

Wanted more
I love this author and I really, really wanted to love this book...but I didn't. I loved the southern background, with discussions on southern food, manners and traditions, but I could not for the life of me connect with these characters. I did enjoy the Batman scenario (funny and inventive) - but this book moved along slowly for me. I will continue to read and love this author, though....I'm a big fan!
Nancy K. (Perrysburg, OH)

An Easy Read
I am having a hard time reviewing this book because in my mind it is really 3 books in one. The first part is a rather humorous light hearted "beach read" kind of book. The last half deals with some very serious problems of aging, racism and unmarried mothers. Through out the book a third kind of story weaves in and out, that of Violet and Violence, who are imaginary " graphic characters". I really like the last half of the book, which would make a beautiful short story. The author has talent there is no doubt about that.
Dorothy H. (Folsom, CA)

Summer Book Club Read
Story of sisters in the deep South with a secret in the attic of the family home. many twists and turns. A blend of mystery, romance and history

Female Comic Book Writers

• Book Jacket: Conviction
    Conviction
    by Denise Mina
    Scottish author Denise Mina's latest novel, Conviction, is a fast-paced thriller narrated by Anna, a...
    Dread Nation
    by Justina Ireland
    The war between the states is over and, instead, a very different battle is being waged for the ...
  • Book Jacket: Costalegre
    Costalegre
    by Courtney Maum
    The year is 1937 and Hitler is gaining stronger sway over Europe. Chief among the Führer's ...
    Lands of Lost Borders
    by Kate Harris
    Powered by imagination, grit, a bicycle, and the companionship of her best friend Mel, Kate Harris ...

Ellie and the Harpmaker
    by Hazel Prior

A rich, heartwarming and charming debut novel about finding love in unexpected places.

Never Have I Ever

A diabolically entertaining tale of betrayal, deception, temptation, and love.

Book Club
Visible Empire
by Hannah Pittard

An epic novel—based on true events—of love, grief, race, and wealth.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Crudo

Crudo by Olivia Laing

A brilliant, funny, and emphatically raw novel of love on the brink of the apocalypse.

T C C H T Roost