MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Proving Ground, plus links to write your own review.

Proving Ground

Gary Presley

There is 1 reader review for Proving Ground

Michael Haughton

Proving Ground by Peter Blauner
My first disapproved word in this novel is the word "substantial".
why use the word "substantial" when describing the way the lady cop Lourdes dresses or displays her waywardness. it should have been noticeable instead which is more than an appropriate word.

But why would the writer keep mentioning her size rear/bottom as if that was a more important topic to dwell on. I am well guarded in my mind just not to say that the writer was trying to make some sexual over tones in his mind and to the readers. But I don't regard it as negative because I love femininity.

And why did the writer keep stressing on Lourdes shape and size to the point that he mentioned her weight 165. This was kinda hilarious as that is not a substantial weight to be talking about in a crime/thriller novel so I don't understand his logic.

I was not too impressed with the writer's use of metaphoric words like one example was showing how bad the park looked especially with a dead corps. one such word phase was and I quote "ruptured stitches".

Lourdes was demoted for three months because of her involvement in a verbal abuse hassling of cab driver.But she claimed to be the innocent party. it look like most if her detective colleges didn't really like her because of her unusual quick ascension to a high rank while others had to wait. which was given to her because of her undercover success in catching a perp in a Hair Salon.

I was not too happy when the writer tried to put emphasis on the money value of a Prospect Park West opposite the crime scene as that has no importance to the novel. its jus a waste use of a metaphoric mind as it bears nothing to the story. and this affects my rating of this book.

It was 20yrs since the last murder that white people cared about. when I read this , I get the notion that it was as if the writer was using racism, as a means of justifying the way he used the color of skin to make his point.I sure hope it was not, as many readers of all color would not have appreciated it.

Lourdes was a tough lady cop that never seemed to back down from anything. And this crime which is about a famous lawyer that made great protest and street marches about police brutality would make no difference although her boss warned her about reality of the case.I took note that the writer made her to be a bit vulgar by using curse words when she speaks at times. I doubt the writer didn't take in account that other readers may not appreciate it and may feel indifferent. I therefore rate this book 3 out of 5

• Book Jacket: A Dredging in Swann
    A Dredging in Swann
    by Tim Garvin
    A Dredging in Swann, set in fictional Swann County, North Carolina, centers around fresh-out-of-the-...
  • Book Jacket: The Black Cathedral
    The Black Cathedral
    by Marcial Gala
    Marcial Gala's The Black Cathedral, translated from the Spanish by Anna Kushner, is narrated through...
  • Book Jacket: When We Were Vikings
    When We Were Vikings
    by Andrew David MacDonald
    In When We Were Vikings by Andrew David MacDonald, readers are first introduced to Zelda on her ...
  • Book Jacket: How to Build a Heart
    How to Build a Heart
    by Maria Padian
    Maria Padian is well-known for her motif of exploring teen reactions to social issues. Her novel ...

Red Letter Days
    by Sarah-Jane Stratford

A striking novel about two daring women who escape McCarthy-era Hollywood for London.

The Splendid and the Vile
    by Erik Larson

A fresh and compelling portrait of Winston Churchill and London during the Blitz.

Remembrance
by Rita Woods

A breakout debut with modern resonance, perfect for fans of The Underground Railroad and Orphan Train.

Win The Lost Family

The Lost Family
by Libby Copeland

A deeply reported look at the rise of home genetic testing and the seismic shock it has had on individual lives.

A F I Need I A F I