Reader reviews and comments on Anything Is Possible, plus links to write your own review.

Anything Is Possible

Kate Braithwaite

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Anything Is Possible

Julie M

Elizabeth Strout Does It Again
Anything is Possible is the sequel to My Name is Lucy Barton which I absolutely loved, and I was worried that it could only be disappointing in comparison. I couldn’t have been more wrong! This book is even better than the first. I took some minor characters from My Name is Lucy Barton who Lucy and her mother gossip about in the first book and flesh out their “real” stories. It’s almost like a book of connected short stories done as though each is a novel in itself. I will be recommending this book to everyone!
Kathy K.

Solid Read - Not Strout's Best
I have read most of Strout's novels and short story collections, but had not read My Name is Lucy Barton prior to reading Anything Is Possible. While I typically don't enjoy short stories as much as novels, I was excited to read this as I love Olive Kitteridge and Amy and Isabelle - all characters that are not only realistic, but jump off the page with facets that remind me of people I know. The characters in Anything Is Possible are believable, but lack the familiarity and complexity of some of Strout's other characters. However, the characters are all loosely tied together via Lucy Barton and I am more intrigued by Lucy after reading these stories.

Perhaps because of the brevity of the stories, there is some depth missing in characterization, and at times Strout makes broad leaps in an attempt to tie together characters or events from different time periods. More than once, a character is described as thinking of someone for no reason, or having a memory unbidden by anything going on the present - it is as if she is apologizing for the clunky attempts to tie stories together. While this book may lack the brilliance of Olive Kitteridge, it is still a quick read with diverse stories that range from strange to sweet.

• Book Jacket: The Ensemble
    by Tessa Fontaine
  • Book Jacket: The Female Persuasion
    The Female Persuasion
    by Meg Wolitzer
    A college freshman struggling for identity. A 1960s feminist icon attempting to maintain her ...
  • Book Jacket: A Lucky Man
    A Lucky Man
    by Jamel Brinkley
    If his debut collection of short stories, A Lucky Man is any indicator, Jamel Brinkley is poised on ...

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

Eternal Life
    by Dara Horn

The award-winning author returns with an ingenious novel about what it would mean to live forever.

Win The Comedown