Reader reviews and comments on Idaho, plus links to write your own review.

Idaho

Lucia Silva

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Idaho

Lorri

Moments of grace
This book is not what you may think it is. It sounds so dark from the description, one of those edge-of-your-seat-are-things-really-what-they seem page turners. But what it really is, is a book about grace, how a complicated life, filled with unimaginable sadness, still has those moments of grace, of connection. This is a beautifully written book, it quietly builds tension and then just as quietly releases you from it, but never completely. Happiness is never quite attained, sadness is always lurking at the edges, and yet there is a satisfaction there, equal parts resignation and unexpected joy.
dpfaef

Idaho
When you read a book about murder especially a horrific murder you expect a resolution, an explanation, something to ease the pain. In Idaho Emily Ruskovich gives you none of that.

Ann knows when she married Wade that he has early on-set dementia and that his first wife murdered one of their children. The beauty of the story is not about the murder, but how Ann goes about bringing closure to an act that was so brutal. We don’t often get a glimpse of the aftermath of a tragedy, it goes against our sensibilities not to know what happened but the author is more concerned with how life continues after such a tragedy. The book spans a thirty year period, moving from present to past, back and forth from character to character each giving us just a bit of insight always moving forward never back.

Idaho is beautifully written book but, challenging as it does not move in the direction you expect, it will move you from comfort zone.
Disappointed

Disappointed
A depressing, jumbled mess. I was unable to connect with any of the characters. Glad I got the book from the library instead of wasting money on it.

Idaho—A Nonsense Name?

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
    The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
    by Marie Benedict
    The Mystery of Mrs. Christie by Marie Benedict, notable author of previous historical fiction such ...
  • Book Jacket: To Be a Man
    To Be a Man
    by Nicole Krauss
    While, as its title hints, To Be a Man by Nicole Krauss is concerned with masculinity, it renders a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Office of Historical Corrections
    The Office of Historical Corrections
    by Danielle Evans
    In The Office of Historical Corrections, the second story collection from Danielle Evans, readers ...
    The Dutch House
    by Ann Patchett

The Dutch House is my introduction to Ann Patchett, which, after reading it, surprises me. I had ...

The Prophets
    by Robert Jones Jr.

A stunning debut novel about the forbidden union between two enslaved young men on a Deep South plantation.

The Fortunate Ones
    by Ed Tarkington

An engrossing story of class, love, and loyalty for fans of Kevin Wilson's Nothing to See Here.

The Moment of Lift
by Melinda Gates
How can we summon a moment of lift for women? Because when you lift up women, you lift up humanity.

Every good journalist has a novel in him - which is an excellent place for it.

T M T C, T M T Stay T S