What readers think of All the Ugly and Wonderful Things, plus links to write your own review.

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things

Oct 2017, 432 pages

There are currently 34 reader reviews for All the Ugly and Wonderful Things

Sheila B. (Danvers, MA)

Stark Reality
I couldn't put this book down, and when I had to, I couldn't stop thinking about it. It's a love story that has changed my perception, once again, of what constitutes love. I know there are realities like this out in the world as painful as that is to comprehend. Bryn is on point in her description of the confusion and survival instincts of being a child in a chaotic, dysfunctional family, one has to wonder how much of it she personally survived. I look forward to her next book and am glad I was chosen to read and comment on this one.
Kim

Perfect Title!
I could not put this book down. Even though the writing is exceptional, this book is not for everyone as the subject matter is difficult. The author must have experienced some of what happens in this book- it is just too tough to make up.
Sandy F. (Davis, CA)

Give this time to stir your soul
A book that has layers and where the "wonderful things" seem like they will never happen. It begins slowly and becomes Riveting, heart rending, educational in a way I hope I never need -- well written. Bryn Greenwood had to have lived this. It is too real. A story of lives, child and adult, torn apart by addiction, lack of love, abuse, anger, and full of everything downright ugly. Where salvation for one child comes from someone negatively labeled for heritage and looks,that is the only one that acts with love and honor. Where love lasts through the "impossible" for years and is finally right and "a wonderful thing." Much more to tell and I don't have the skill to convince you this book is hard to put down and even harder to forget. Brilliant!
Janet S. (Terrace Park, OH)

Powerful Read
This is a tough read and not for everyone. Wavy, the daughter of a drug dealer, has to grow up all to quickly and trusts no one...even her parents. At eight years old she pretty much raises her mother's new baby, when she is still a child herself.

Fortunately, along comes a friend, Kellen, who helps her and understands exactly what she has/is going through. They become friends and help each other get through all that is happening in their world.

This is a real life story in the world of drugs, criminals, etc. It's a powerful read.
Elizabeth K. (Dallas, TX)

An unconventional love story
I couldn't put this one down. The characters are unusual, but they feel like real people, and the story is compelling. Wavy and Kellen are truly star-crossed lovers. You can't help but root for Wavy and Kellen and Donal to be together as a family. I plan to read any future books by Bryn Greenwood.
Mary Lou F. (Naples, FL)

Choices
Each chapter is written by one of the characters which gives the reader how each make a choice in the years involved in the story. Very good read.
Roe P. (Massapequa Park, NY)

INDEED UGLY AND WONDERFUL THINGS
Indeed, Wavy, the main character in this book does experience every ugly and wonderful thing...At the start of the book she is a young girl of 8, but her life is full of "adult" experiences. She is a troubled child and as she grows up some terrifying experiences are part of her life. This book is sometimes difficult to read because of the horrific things that happen around Wavy...but she is a survivor and beats the odds. A love story, a drama, even a little mystery surrounding her younger brother can be found in Ms. Greenwoods novel. I recommend it and found myself wanting to spend more time reading so I could discover Wavy's future....
Kenan R. (Liberty, MO)

Wow - Just Wow
This is a finely crafted, beautifully written book about a very ugly world. The love story of Wavy and Kellen is definitely not the stuff of dreams. It is the stuff of life and the story of how two people can love each other enough to rise above all the pain and brutality of their surroundings and save each other in the process. At many times I was made uncomfortable by the burgeoning sexuality of Wavy, and the wildly inappropriate actions of Kellen and Wavy. Perhaps because their world was so devoid of a moral compass it was easier to deal with what in any other situation would be simply unacceptable. It was critical to have multiple voices narrating events to provide balance - sort of a "Greek Chorus" for the reader. I devoured this book - every ugly wonderful bit of it.

Age of Consent

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: Dark Horses
    Dark Horses
    by Susan Mihalic
    Dark Horses is a shocking, heart-pounding debut; it's both a coming-of-age novel and an unflinching ...
  • Book Jacket: Best Laid Plans
    Best Laid Plans
    by Gwen Florio
    When starting a series, first impressions are key. Introducing a sympathetic or relatable ...
  • Book Jacket: Last Night at the Telegraph Club
    Last Night at the Telegraph Club
    by Malinda Lo
    Author Malinda Lo takes readers to Chinatown, San Francisco in 1954, where 17-year-old Lily Hu is ...
  • Book Jacket: No One Is Talking About This
    No One Is Talking About This
    by Patricia Lockwood
    If anyone knows the ins and outs of living online, it's Patricia Lockwood. Before her stellar memoir...

Black Widows
    by Cate Quinn

A brilliant joyride in the company of three sister-wives with nothing in common except their dead husband.

The Narrowboat Summer
by Anne Youngson
From the author of Meet Me at the Museum, a charming novel of second chances.
Win This Book!
Win Band of Sisters

Band of Sisters
by Lauren Willig

"A crackling portrayal of everyday American heroines…A triumph."
— Fiona Davis