Reader reviews and comments on Quiet Neighbors, plus links to write your own review.

Quiet Neighbors

Apr 2018, 360 pages

Mollie Smith Waters

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Quiet Neighbors

Bogopea

A different girl on a different train
Quiet Neighbors begins with a girl on a train, from London to Scotland, obviously running from something/someone. She ends up in Wigtown, Scotland, where she once vacationed. This woman, Jude, is befriended and given a job and a place to live by a used bookstore owner. As the book develops, we slowly are given clues to Jude's past, as well as Lowell's, the shop owner. Wigtown is very small and new people are noticed. Shortly after Jude arrives, a young women (Eddy) arrives and claims that Lowell is her father. He accepts Jude as she is, he accepts Eddy as well. It turns out, they all have secrets in their past, as do other townspeople. Quiet Neighbors is the unfolding of all their stories. It's not a romance, yet it's a love story. It's not a comedic book, yet it's very amusing and wry. It's not gory, yet it's a murder mystery. In spite of the number of characters (3 main but many more on the periphery), McPherson relates a tale I could not put down. She fleshed out the characters in such a masterful way and created such an improbable cast of characters that I found myself rooting for a happy ending. I was not disappointed. A jolly good read.
Michael Haughton

Quiet Neighbors
Jude which seems to be the main character was wondering in a town call Newton Stewart. Evidently as curious as a child this town seemed forgotten as no noise of such was noticed. In fact the writer made it into a dead town fill with hotels and more importantly bookshops. The writer lives on the drive of Jude entering one such bookshop that made life for her a little different.

I will therefore, use a summary from the mind: Jude found one of the treasures when she visited last summer, the high point of a miserable vacation. Now, in the depths of winter, when she has to run away, Lowell's chaotic bookshop in that backwater of a town is the safe place she runs to.

As I have said again and again the use of big words can throw off the story line/phrase. One such word the writer used was"
pusillanimous" in response to the question ask by this man jade spoke to at the bookshop. I believe the right word that the writer should us is weak or shaky.

I get the feeling that the writer was all over the place with the story line and plot. Cause most readers would feel confused with the whole heap of imaginary lines and phrases. which I was not pleased with as I got really bored most of time while reading.

I keep wondering why the writer took so long to give the man name with whom jade was talking to." Then he held out his hand. "Lowland Glen. This was done way after he gave her his handkerchief to wipe her eyes and a back room to rest.

I still don't get what the writer was trying to do with this novel. This girl was a run away from her London home. As her parents were both dead but I was not impressed with this novel. I would caution readers in buying this book if they want a book with good knowledge of story plots. Low ratings I give to it.

Wigtown: National Book Town

Let It Bang
    by RJ Young

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

The Kinship of Secrets
    by Eugenia Kim

A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne

A seductive, unputdownable psychodrama following one brilliant, ruthless man.

Win Severance