Reader reviews and comments on The Forgetting Time, plus links to write your own review.

The Forgetting Time

by Sharon Guskin

The Forgetting Time by Sharon Guskin X
The Forgetting Time by Sharon Guskin

Feb 2016, 368 pages
    Feb 2017, 368 pages

There are currently 30 reader reviews for The Forgetting Time

Kathy D. (Spotsylvania, VA)

Read this one all in one sitting!
"The Forgetting Time" drew me in from the start, and I couldn't put it down! The riveting storytelling and realistic characters you genuinely care about, challenge the reader to reconsider how we look at life, and how far we are willing to go and push our beliefs, when faced with something seemingly impossible.

As the story unfolded, and especially after it concluded, I wanted to talk about this book. I _needed_ to talk about this book. It would be a perfect selection for a book club!
Sheryl M. (Marietta, GA)

A Spellbinding Debut Novel
I have an ongoing interest in memory, mostly what we remember, its selective nature and how our memory of an event changes over time. This book greatly expanded my concept of this phenomena.

If you are a reader who finds characters the most interesting part of a novel and enjoys watching them grow as the story progresses; who likes books with characters so real you envision them as your neighbors or work colleagues or friends, will be unwilling to put down The Forgetting Time.

Ms. Guskin has been remarkably adept at presenting a concept that is difficult for western minds to comprehend let alone accept. She has told a story that shows the power of love and the potential for growth in forgiveness and acceptance; the painful, unrelenting nature of loss; explored our understanding of memory—how and what we remember—and why we must also have a forgetting time, a time of letting go.

In presenting the thesis of this novel, the author has shown how we grow when we open our minds to new concepts and differences in the cultures of all people. I have "left" the book, but I will be pondering the facets of our minds that shape our lives for a long time.
Fureyous

Missed Opportunity
The premise of this book, a little boy who remembers his past life, is as big a promise as anyone gets in this, or any other, life time. Unfortunately the book begins with the biggest cliche of all . . .a one night stand to protest turning 40. The language of that first section is so tired and predictable I would not have kept going if I wasn't already familiar with the work of Dr. Ian Stevenson and Dr. James Tucker, investigators into children who remember past lives. The story is compelling, but the enormous difficulties this mother would have experienced with schools and the medical system is minimized, another missed opportunity. On the other hand, the child Noah is a character you come to love and hope to see healed. The scene where Noah's mother feels her child preferring his mother from his previous life to her is probably the most well written in the book. The end is made for t.v. slop and Dr. Anderson should have been left at the good-bye at the airport. The most troubling continuity issue for me, as someone who has done immense research into this issue, is that children who actually connect with their previous families do NOT forget. A better editor, a few more rewrites, and this novel could have been GREAT. I almost gave it average, but the one well wrought scene saved it.
Sharon R. (Deerfield, IL)

The Force of Love
There are many story lines in The Forgetting Time, all intersecting in a story that is about love, that spans current worlds and those we do not know much about. Reincarnation is a major theme and the author intersperses cases that have been observed in other countries other than the United States. After a few of these I found myself jumping ahead to get back to the story of Noah and his Mom, Janie, which I was much more interested in.

The scientist in the book is trying to prove his theory of reincarnation and if you are skeptical as I am, you may be uncomfortable with parts of the book. Despite my skepticism, I thoroughly enjoyed the story and mystery involving the mother, Janie, doing absolutely everything and anything to help her child.

This Book will be very attractive to Book Clubs with multiple topics to discuss.
Shawna L (TX)

Love, Family, Forgiveness, & More
It took longer than I expected to be engaged by this story. However, the story really began to unfold once Janie and Dr. Anderson met. It is much more than a story about reincarnation. It is about what a mother will do to help her child. It is about finding answers when none seem to exist. It is about love, forgiveness, and family. The story lends itself well to group discussion as there are many topics to explore. Persevere past the first 70 pages. The story is worth the wait.
Loretta F. (Fountain Inn, SC)

Intrigued, but Skeptical
Many years ago I read "Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation" by Dr. Ian Stevenson. It was a fascinating read, but if I remember correctly some of cases could not be verified. And Dr. Stevenson admits that the evidence for reincarnation cannot be tested scientifically as in a laboratory. It is interesting to me that most cases of past life memories occur in cultures with a strong belief in past lives, thus very few American children remember a past life. The author seems to "push" reincarnation as fact, because she doesn't include scientific studies that are contrary or inconclusive. In my opinion, the human mind is still a mystery, and there may be other explanations for the phenomenon of reincarnation.

That said the book was a quick read with a fast moving plot very much in the writing style of Jodi Picoult. It invites speculation, and may encourage readers to explore the subject further. I recommend this book to book clubs, and to fans of Jodi Picoult.
Barbara (Cherry Hill, NJ)

Live in the moment
Excellent debut novel and an engaging read. I'm not a fan of the main topic of the book - reincarnation. But, the story felt like a suspense novel for most of the book and kept my interest.

Those who loved Kate Atkinson's " Life after Life" will probably enjoy this book more than I did. I found this book more interesting, more tolerable and easier to read than Atkinson's book.

I found the perspectives about world views and academic research on 'reincarnation' interesting. It makes me think hard about when someone is described as having an old soul.

Even the title will be a topic for a great book club discussion.
Marjorie W. (Bonita Springs, FL)

The Forgetting Time
This was a very unusual book - it took a while for me to become involved in the story, but when I did it was hard to put it down. Reincarnation is not something one thinks about - I felt for Janie as she tried to understand her son's fears and behavior. At he same time, Noah's struggles with his "memories" were heartbreaking.

Dr. Ian Stevenson

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: Last Night at the Telegraph Club
    Last Night at the Telegraph Club
    by Malinda Lo
    Author Malinda Lo takes readers to Chinatown, San Francisco in 1954, where 17-year-old Lily Hu is ...
  • Book Jacket: No One Is Talking About This
    No One Is Talking About This
    by Patricia Lockwood
    If anyone knows the ins and outs of living online, it's Patricia Lockwood. Before her stellar memoir...
  • Book Jacket: A Thousand Ships
    A Thousand Ships
    by Natalie Haynes
    Recent years have seen a trend in reinventions of Greek myths and legends, some from the ...
  • Book Jacket: Zorrie
    Zorrie
    by Laird Hunt
    In Zorrie, Laird Hunt takes readers through decades of his main character's struggles, joys and ...

Black Widows
    by Cate Quinn

A brilliant joyride in the company of three sister-wives with nothing in common except their dead husband.

The Narrowboat Summer
by Anne Youngson
From the author of Meet Me at the Museum, a charming novel of second chances.

It is always darkest just before the day dawneth

P G Before A F