Reader reviews and comments on The Forgetting Time, plus links to write your own review.

The Forgetting Time

Feb 2017, 368 pages

There are currently 30 reader reviews for The Forgetting Time

Diane C.

Both fantastical and logical
Guskin's debut novel deals with a subject that's hard to wrap my head around - memories of a past life so vivid that they have survived the mysteries of death and birth. But she captures readers with believable emotions and well-plotted rational. The two main characters, Janie and Anderson, are very different from each other, sometimes at odds and at other times in sync. The combination of the two, Janie's intelligence bent by raw emotion and Anderson's emotions flooding out years of logic and intellect, give the story a robust perspective. Guskin is a talented writer, and I'll be on the lookout for her sophomore novel!
Judy K. (Conroe, TX)

What a pleasant surprise!
When I picked this book up, I didn't know what to expect, knew nothing about it. If I had, I probably would've passed, thinking it was too "new-age-y" for me. But, what a delightful surprise when I found myself absorbed in the story, turning pages long after I should've been asleep, wanting to get more deeply involved. Without giving anything away, let me say, this story sucked me in. Once I figured out what the overlying subject matter was (something I would've rejected out of hand), it was too late. I was hooked. Great story, clever writing, enlightening and highly recommended.
Sandra H. (St. Cloud, MN)

Who Are We--
Sharon Guskin's "The Forgetting Time" posits the theory that we that we can take on or absorb the life of another. Focusing on Janie, a single mother, and the child, Noah, she conceives on a week's vacation, plus a lonely scientist, Dr. Jerome Anderson, suffering from aphasia who has spent his life studying the belief that life after death can exist, Guskin's writes an enthralling novel.

Noah is suffering from the belief that he has another life and struggles with the two personalities that war within him. The novel details Janie's attempt to find a solution to her son's agonies and Anderson's attempt to prove his thesis using Noah's struggles. While this sounds dark and deep, it becomes instead a beautifully written story of love and loss.

Guskin's novel offers much for book groups to discuss. Don't pass this up!
Shirley L. (Norco, LA)

Interesting Story with an Inspirational Message
Some stories are difficult to break in to. Not this one. From page one, the author opens wide an entire assortment of characters for our reading pleasure.
The plot is entertaining. The characters are believable, complex and well formed. The message is beautifully delivered, softly, not with a sledgehammer.
Life is precious. We are all related to each other. An idea we have all heard before; it is told here in a clear, interesting and beautiful story. I loved it.
Sherrie R. (Fort Worth, TX)

Fantastic Read!
The writing was fluid, the story so mysterious that I couldn't put it down. I was captivated by Janie, Noah, and Anderson, their relationships with each other and their journey. It is a mesmerizing read that will stretch your mind with all its possibilities that you may never have dreamed possible. When I wasn't reading it, I was constantly thinking about it- what was to come. So many questions- what did I think, can this be real, always wanting to know more!
Book Clubs will LOVE it! Movie possibilities?
Grace W. (Corona del Mar, CA)

Not to be forgotten
Sharon Guskin's debut book, The Forgetting Time, is an excellent read and extremely well written. The plot is fast paced. The characters are vividly portrayed and highly engaging. Beautiful themes of living in the present moment and forgiveness punctuate the story-line. This story of reincarnation and of life being lived to the full will haunt your memory long after you finish this book.
Laure R.

WARNING LABEL REQUIRED - GREAT READ
A great read that I simply could not put down! A single mother, willing to go to great lengths to help her small child's deep distress with unexplained, tragic memories that defy all logic.

Beautifully written, with characters who leap off the pages. Ever since finishing this book, I find myself daily thinking about the possibilities in the way we view our past and our future.

I can't wait for more from this author. I will just be better prepared to be totally absorbed in the read. Thank you, BookBrowse, for an author I likely would not have found otherwise. It's that good!
Julie H. (Pine Grove, PA)

The Forgetting Time
This book lingers in your memory. It quickly pulls the reader into the story and remains engrossing through until the end. The characters are well written and developed, but more than that, one can't help but wonder about the possibilities the story presents. The dual stories of aphasia and former lives play off each other so well. There is so much to think about while reading this book! It would be an awesome book club selection!

Dr. Ian Stevenson

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: Last Night at the Telegraph Club
    Last Night at the Telegraph Club
    by Malinda Lo
    Author Malinda Lo takes readers to Chinatown, San Francisco in 1954, where 17-year-old Lily Hu is ...
  • Book Jacket: No One Is Talking About This
    No One Is Talking About This
    by Patricia Lockwood
    If anyone knows the ins and outs of living online, it's Patricia Lockwood. Before her stellar memoir...
  • Book Jacket: A Thousand Ships
    A Thousand Ships
    by Natalie Haynes
    Recent years have seen a trend in reinventions of Greek myths and legends, some from the ...
  • Book Jacket: Zorrie
    Zorrie
    by Laird Hunt
    In Zorrie, Laird Hunt takes readers through decades of his main character's struggles, joys and ...

Black Widows
    by Cate Quinn

A brilliant joyride in the company of three sister-wives with nothing in common except their dead husband.

The Narrowboat Summer
by Anne Youngson
From the author of Meet Me at the Museum, a charming novel of second chances.

Asking a working writer what he thinks about critics...

P G Before A F