What readers think of When Breath Becomes Air, plus links to write your own review.

When Breath Becomes Air

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 4 reader reviews for When Breath Becomes Air

anon

When Breath Becomes Air
A little boring at first but just wait.
cak

WHEN BREATH BECOMES AIR
The patient, the surgeon, the family, the friends--one reads about and feels it from each perspective. And, the feelings reach down to a deep level.
Lynne Sales

Touching memoir
Young, talented, hardworking neurosurgeon is diagnosed with lung cancer. This is his memoir about his pursuit of the meaning of life, and death, while continuing to treat patients who themselves are facing life threatening illnesses. Contemplative and sad, bud well worth the read.
Jody Fitzpatrick

REview: When Breath becomes Air
Having heard and read much about this book, I was disappointed in reading it. Perhaps my expectations were too high. Most of the book was about the details of neurosurgery and didn't relate sufficiently to his purpose of learning more about death. How was he learning more a bout death as a neurosurgeon, other than seeing it? learning how it occurred physiologically? He does occasionally allude to how his fascination with the surgery led him to forget his main goal, learning more about death and life. Further, I'm not sure he made the right choices for a dying man or for any man. Why work this hard, particularly after he has experienced cancer? For him, it's because he loves his work. You also feel he, unknowingly, has something to prove. His arrogance about the profession or neurology and his own performance in it (which was great but is too much the focus) is troublesome and affects how I think about his conclusions. He's not the only neurosurgeon who can compete this work, so why does he feel he's needed so much? Further, other than the mandates of hospitals and medical schools, there is no reason to work this many hours. It may, in fact, hinder the care given to patients because of physician's fatigue. I'm sorry that he didn't lead a more balanced life and that he does not recognize the problems of putting life off when death arrives. He doesn't seem to advocate changing the system. So, I guess he would miss much of life again. Perhaps that's a good choice for the work you love, but I had expected further discussion of these choices.

Lung Cancer

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: All That She Carried
    All That She Carried
    by Tiya Miles
    For Rose of Charleston, South Carolina, it was an ordinary day until it wasn't. When it turned out ...
    Migrations
    by Charlotte McConaghy
    Migrations, Australian author Charlotte McConaghy's literary fiction debut, earned a notably high ...
  • Book Jacket: The Forest of Vanishing Stars
    The Forest of Vanishing Stars
    by Kristin Harmel
    Kristin Harmel's historical novel The Forest of Vanishing Stars was very well-received by our First ...
  • Book Jacket: African Europeans
    African Europeans
    by Olivette Otele
    The nexus of Africans and Europeans is not a recent historical development. Rather, the peoples of ...

All the Little Hopes
by Leah Weiss
A Southern story of friendship forged by books and bees, in the murky shadows of World War II.

The Sunset Route
    by Carrot Quinn

A beautiful memoir about forgiveness, self-discovery, and the redemptive power of nature.

Win This Book!
Win The Debt Trap

The Debt Trap
by Josh Mitchell

"A meticulous, eye-opening history of the US student debt crisis."
—Publishers Weekly