MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on My Name Is Lucy Barton, plus links to write your own review.

My Name Is Lucy Barton

Davida Chazan

There are currently 3 reader reviews for My Name Is Lucy Barton

Julie M.

Excellent Read
I recently re-read this book for one of my book groups and enjoyed it even more the second time. This is a journey through Lucy’s relationship with her mother and to some degree her father. Her mother comes to be with Lucy in the hospital while they navigate their emotions and feelings for each other by gossiping about people in their hometown and movie magazines. This is not a plot driven book, but rather a study in judgement, how we as humans struggle with expressing our feelings and how much we need our mothers no matter how old we get.
Mla08080

Imperfect Love
This is an episodic novel that weaves the events in Lucy Barton's life into a diary-like first person account. These events included glimpses of how poor Lucy grew up, five in the family, living in a garage until a relative's death lands them better shelter. "Lonely was the first flavor I had tasted in my life, and it was always there, hidden inside the crevices of my mouth, reminding me." At the center of this recollection is a visit that Lucy's mother makes to the hospital when Lucy has complications from an appendix surgery. For five days her mother sits at the foot of her bed and they tell each other stories about people they know from their hometown of Amgash, Illinois, mostly these are stories about failed marriages. (A daughter and her mom gossiping about people they knew is the premise of Strout's Burgess Boys as well.) On the fringes of all these episodic stories is a terrible past that is not talked about, her father suffered from war trauma is the brief excuse given but certainly Lucy is scarred. Her mother is unable to tell her she loves her , but does seem to admire that Lucy moved on and did something with her life. She got away , unlike her two siblings. These brief scenes also reveal glimpses of her marriage and her experiences as a mother with two daughters of her own, and of her career as a successful writer. Lucy records these thoughts; she writes about her life as an observation, little emotion is detailed. It's a thoughtful portrait.

As Lucy grows as a novelist, taking a class in Arizona, her teacher/mentor summarizes "This is a story about a mother who loves her daughter. Imperfectly. Because we all love imperfectly. But if you find yourself protecting anyone as you write this piece, remember this: You’re not doing it right.”

She did it right.
S Johnson

My Name is Lucy Barton
While not truly relevant to this discussion, I will say here at the beginning that the rating of Very Good for this novel does not begin to express my feelings about it. Also, I have just finished reading the discussion critics offer about the length of the book - and I have to say I agree with the bottom line in those comments - length has no bearing whatsoever on impact here. While I am still trying to digest this book and express - to myself most importantly - what it is about, I can say immediately it is one of the most beautiful, spare, reverent, poetic, yet - in spite of its title and what that implies - universal books I have ever read. It is a true gift, very honestly spoken, and in an almost convoluted way, so full of hope for the soul. As Lucy, herself says in concluding her story, "All life amazes me." This book and it's message, its language, its structure, and its author - just for starters - will do the same for you, I feel certain.

What Defines a Novel?

• Book Jacket: Waiting for an Echo
    Waiting for an Echo
    by Christine Montross
    Dr. Christine Montross had been a practicing psychiatrist for nearly a decade when she decided to ...
    The Flight Portfolio
    by Julie Orringer
    At once a sweeping historical narrative, an insightful character study and a tender romance, Julie ...
  • Book Jacket: The Color of Air
    The Color of Air
    by Gail Tsukiyama
    Daniel was raised in Hilo, Hawaii by Japanese immigrant parents. Having traveled to the U.S. ...
    The Volunteer
    by Jack Fairweather
    Though many found The Volunteer a challenging read, First Impressions responses were overwhelmingly ...

With or Without You
    by Caroline Leavitt

A moving novel about twists of fate, the shifting terrain of love, and coming into your own.

He Started It
    by Samantha Downing

A new thriller from the twisted mind behind the mega hit My Lovely Wife.

The Last Flight
by Julie Clark

The story of two women and one agonizing decision that will change the trajectory of both of their lives.

Win Every Bone a Prayer

Every Bone a Prayer by Ashley Blooms

A beautifully honest exploration of healing and of hope.

T Real M