What readers think of Cold Mountain, plus links to write your own review.

Cold Mountain

Aug 1998, 449 pages

There are currently 38 reader reviews for Cold Mountain

mandi

awsome
This book is great! I am reading it for English class and it is the first book so far that I really like! The plot it great kinda confusing but if you keep reading it all falls into place. The book is great I can't wait to see the movie!
Brooke

Cold Mountain
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This book was just incredible! It is so detailed and has a great storyline!
Puget Sound Reader

Pause, Reflect and Exhale
I did not want this book to end. It has been deeply satisfying, with moments of awe. The author has an ability to paint you into the scene, and the experience, with ease. Never forced, never a wasted word. Every image is instantly clear in my minds eye, even though it is absolutely foreign to anything I have known.
I have read this book aloud to my partner over a period of months and delighted in speaking old words new to my tongue. We find ourselves frequently retracing our steps simply to hear the beauty of the writing.
My most dearly loved book, To Kill A Mockingbird, has nearly been replaced. Cold Mountain will have to stand up to several more readings to take the title, if it can.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has a love of powerful imagery and language.
John

Wounderful piece of American literature.
iris

I loved reading "Cold Mountain". the writer has captured the pure essence of mountain living in the civil war era. Some of his vocabulary stirred my imagination. One must haved lived in the "Cold Mountain" area and had a rich source of family background to know some of the wonderful phrases that the writer uses. Thank you Charles Fraizer for the book. Thank you for stirring memories of the mountains of Smokey Mountains and bringing those memories of the past to the present.
Please continue to bring us those books from that era
lorenvera

awesome well told tale. evokes scenes of the south not usually shown.
Shannon

I haven't loved a book as much as I loved Cold Mountain in a long, long time. It will go on my all-time favorites list. Why did I enjoy it so? First and foremost, the writing--decriptions of time and space that simply put you there. You can't read about Ada sitting under the bush in her front year with the chicken droppings and not be there with her. I agree with another reviewer who likened this more to poetry than prose. Secondly, the characters. Ruby goes up there with Boo Radley for me. A truly unique character. Ada is more interesting to me than your typical pampered Southern Belle. And Inman? Is is possible to fall in love with a fictional man? Thirdly, the way nature is respected in this book is so close to my own view. Ruby's explanation of why certain flowers grow how they grow is a perfect example of the power and perfection of nature, and this view is repeated over and over again. Lastly, this book contains the single most romantic line I have ever read in fiction. I'll leave it a surprise to the lucky few who haven't read Cold Mountain to discover.
moviefreak

I could go on and on about how wonderful this book is.It's almost unfair to say I loved the book, a more accurate discription would be, I had a passion for it.Icannot say that about many books.The language in Cold Mountain just baffles the mind, it reads more like poetry than anything else,Charles Fraizer is a genius with words.in short,go read the book. It's a life-altering experience.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Women and Children First
    Women and Children First
    by Alina Grabowski
    After Lucy Anderson falls to her death at a high school party, no one in Nashquitten, her gloomy, ...
  • Book Jacket: Henry Henry
    Henry Henry
    by Allen Bratton
    Allen Bratton's Henry Henry chronicles a year in the life of Hal Lancaster. Readers already ...
  • Book Jacket: The Last Murder at the End of the World
    The Last Murder at the End of the World
    by Stuart Turton
    The island is the only safe place left on Earth. Since a deadly fog overtook the planet, the ...
    A Kind of Madness
    by Uche Okonkwo
    The word "madness," like many others that can be used to stigmatize mental illness — e.g., "...

BookBrowse Book Club

The Pecan Children
by Quinn Connor
Look on the Bright Side
by Kristan Higgins
From the author of Pack Up the Moon comes a funny, romantic, and moving novel about life's unexpected rewards.
Win This Book
Win Bright and Tender Dark

Bright and Tender Dark by Joanna Pearson

A beautifully written, wire-taut debut novel about a murder on a college campus and its aftermath twenty years later.

A W in S C