What readers think of Cold Mountain, plus links to write your own review.

Cold Mountain

Aug 1998, 449 pages

There are currently 38 reader reviews for Cold Mountain

annoula

Cold Mountain
it didn't amaze me. to me it was boring, it describes so much to a point that it makes me wanna fall asleep. bottom line: didn't like it.
Charles Lee

I found it a bit boring and tought it could have had more action.
Greg

I found "Cold Mountain" at the airport in Caracas, Venezuela during a stopover. I had run out of books to read (the only way I can get through a long flight) and it was one of only 2 books in English so I didn't have much choice. I had never heard about it so I was fortunate to be able to absorb it word by word with no idea what it was about or what was coming. I've read it again since, and just saw the movie.
This book is beautiful, emotive, tragic , heartbreaking and hopeful. Frazier's writing is as poetic as prose can be and he makes you feel exactly what he wants you to feel without pressing the point or giving you what you might want. I don't think I've ever read a book that gave me emotional pain like this. Many people don't like the ending because it hurts, it really hurts. But it makes you feel human.
This book is a rare treat and literature at it's finest- it will become a part of you .
jill

hi , what are we saying here about the expected happy ending?? that has been out of fashion a long time now. Most novels end tragically, Frankly I expected more from Frazier, it is more of a challenge for the writer, to keep it interesting and also keep every one alive,
It was a great way to bring people into a world they never knew, to take people to parts of themselves they aren't aware are there,
A good author shows us ourselves, Inganm and Ada and Frazier have done that, Bravo, just change the ending in the movie pleasssssse!!!!

Dennis
I will have to say that you should judge this book by its cover...the cover sucked, and the book sucked even more.

Jeff
I have just finished Cold Mountain and found it to be one of those rare books that truly draws one into it's world. Frazier does a magnificent job of describing daily life in the Civil War era Southern highlands as well as drawing us into what feels like a friendship with his characters. Your heart rejoices and aches with the victories and defeats in the lives of Inman and Ada as they struggle to live and love in a world torn by war and unrest. What a joy to have found one of those rare contemporary works that actually invests in the development of its characters and probes the depths of those common fears and hopes that bind us all together. An excellent, if not disturbing story.

Wendy
I thought Cold Mountain was a good book. I had to read the book as part of my English honors class. Although the ending disappointed the majority of our class, I thought that in a way, it was necessary. The ending amplified Frazier's meaning- that humanity in war is nearly impossible.

Ashley
Cold Mountain was my book club's selection for this month. And I am certainly happy with the choice. This is the best book I have read for awhile. I just finished it yesterday and have been able to think of little else. The tragedy of Inman and Ada makes my heart break. A sublimely written novel. One I will think about for years to come.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Swimming Back to Trout River
    Swimming Back to Trout River
    by Linda Rui Feng
    Linda Rui Feng's first novel, Swimming Back to Trout River, is a powerful meditation on the ties ...
  • Book Jacket: The Unfit Heiress
    The Unfit Heiress
    by Audrey Farley
    During the American eugenics movement (see Beyond the Book), involuntary sterilization was used to ...
    Daughters Of Smoke & Fire
    by Ava Homa
    Ava Homa's debut novel begins with an epigraph by Sherko Bekas, a Kurdish poet, the last lines of ...
    The Last Flight
    by Julie Clark
    Julie Clark's second novel, The Last Flight, is the tale of two women, each desperate to escape an ...

The Book of Lost Names
by Kristin Harmel
A heartrending novel of survival, inspired by an astonishing true story from World War II.

Ariadne
    by Jennifer Saint

A mesmerizing debut novel about Ariadne, Princess of Crete for fans of Madeline Miller's Circe.

Everybody
    by Olivia Laing

"Impassioned and provocative...[an] intensely moving, vital and artful book."
    —The Guardian

Flaming enthusiasm, backed up by horse sense and persistence, is the quality that most frequently makes for ...

H I T Best P