Reader reviews and comments on Girl Waits with Gun, plus links to write your own review.

Girl Waits with Gun

by Amy Stewart

Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart X
Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart

Sep 2015, 416 pages
    May 2016, 448 pages

There are currently 29 reader reviews for Girl Waits with Gun

Wendy W. (Ann Arbor, MI)

I wanted to love this, but...
This book started with such promise. Amy Stewart is a very good writer. Her descriptions are wonderful and her characters are strong. It wasn't until the end that I realized that the story was based on real people, and I think that may be the problem. I could easily see 50-100 pages being edited out of this book and it being a much stronger work. It felt like the same thing kept happening over and over and it became tiresome. I'm all for historical accuracy, but if you're already taking artistic license by mixing fictional characters and real people (as she admits she did), than perhaps you can streamline the facts to make for a story that is more interesting to read.
Becky M. (Crumpler, NC)

Tell me there will be more!
What a fun read! Girl Waits with Gun is the fictionalized story of one of the first women deputies in the country. Constance is imposing, strong-willed, and ready to take on obstacles that lesser women OR men would never tackle. But she must defend her family and home from aggressive and brutal men, and she will NOT back down. Based on newspaper accounts and family interviews, Amy Stewart replays history and creates a gripping story along the way. Please tell me this is the first of many in the Constance Kopp series!
Duane F. (Cape Girardeau, MO)

Girl Waits With Gun
A good piece of historical frolic. I have grown very fond of fiction based on fact. This sweet book takes the reader back to simpler times, but times where women were kept from the unseemly sides of life and often held in seclusion for what was labeled their own protection. But these three heroines, Constance, Norma and Fluerette were thrust into a snare of a brutal silk factory owner by sheer chance. Ranging from Constance's determination to set out justice for herself and her sisters, free from harassment, to Fleurette's pubescent fantasies of daggers and dancers and dangers and nicely balanced by Norma's desire to be left alone to pursue her farm and pigeons, Ms Stewart has given us a wonderful story of women who can protect themselves, mostly, but ultimately. This was a refreshing, enjoyable peek into what was a woman's world at the turn of the century. Her descriptions brought to life the streets of chaos and turmoil from new age of industry and all its consequences. Her character development allowed the reader to feel the characters and hide with them as their assailants lobbed bricks through the windows and one could almost taste the acrid air within the factories. I will miss these three ladies and wish I could have watched as Constance grew into her new and for that period of time, exciting career as one of our first female deputy sheriffs!

I think the rating of the book will largely depend upon the expectations of the reader, some may be disappointed with the lack of the usual sex and violence many seek today. But if what you are looking for is a book with heart and sincerity along with reality and fact and a sense of warmth and resolve... I recommend it with a fond smile.
PiperUp

3.5 stars
3.5 stars...looking forward to reading the next one in the series.
Love Good Lit

(Boring Predictable) Girl with Gun
A very disappointing read. I do believe, or would like to believe that we are waaaaay beyond the 'feisty female' protagonist. Main character (see, I have already forgotten her name) is so deeply stereotypical in too many ways. The writing was redundant and plodding in too many places. Life is far too brief (and this book far too long) to read this kind of writing.

The Real-Life Kopp Sisters

• Book Jacket: Kochland
    Kochland
    by Christopher Leonard
    Many Americans first heard of Koch Industries (or "the Koch Brothers") during the 2016 presidential ...
  • Book Jacket: Everything Inside
    Everything Inside
    by Edwidge Danticat
    Edwidge Danticat is a Haitian-American writer, and Haiti looms large as a presence in this ...
  • Book Jacket: The Beekeeper of Aleppo
    The Beekeeper of Aleppo
    by Christy Lefteri
    In Christy Lefteri's sophomore novel, The Beekeeper of Aleppo, the author introduces readers to ...
  • Book Jacket: Marilou Is Everywhere
    Marilou Is Everywhere
    by Sarah Elaine Smith
    "The point is that at that moment in my life," writes the narrator of Sarah Elaine Smith's debut ...

The Secrets We Kept
    by Lara Prescott

Reese Witherspoon's Sept Book Club Pick!
    "This is the rare page-turner with prose that’s as wily as its plot."—EW

Motherhood So White
    by Nefertiti Austin

A heartwarming memoir of motherhood and adoption told through an African American lens.

Book Club
The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
by Kim Michele Richardson

A story of raw courage, fierce strength, and one woman's belief that books can carry us anywhere.

Win Chase Darkness with Me

How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders

Have you ever wanted to solve a murder? Gather the clues the police overlooked? Put together the pieces? Identify the suspect?

S S A C A Big S