What readers think of Girl Waits with Gun, plus links to write your own review.

Girl Waits with Gun

May 2016, 448 pages

There are currently 29 reader reviews for Girl Waits with Gun

Joyce W. (Rochester, MN)

A delightful read!
Amy blends humor with the time period in a wonderful way. Ladies were ladies, but they could also be independent and feisty. Her characters are well drawn and she creates suspense since you don't know what is going to happen next. I will recommend this book and plan to check out her previous books. It is nice to read a fun story as there are so many dark reads out there.
Anna R. (Oak Ridge, TN)

Fascinating
Girl Waits With A Gun was a surprise. I didn't know it was historical fiction, so that sent me to the Internet to read about the real people in the book. The writing was wonderful, the characters came alive and I could "see" the farm where the women lived. What a story!! I read this book in two days and will recommend it to my book group just as soon as it is in paperback.
Beverly D. (Palm Harbor, FL)

WOW.
Loved this book. Smart, interesting subject matter, very well written and fun! Seemed like an old fashioned serial in some ways. Constance is a well developed character and I'd like to see what happens next with her and her family. I would recommend this novel for historical fiction lovers, young adults and book clubs....and people from New Jersey!
Dianne S. (Green Valley, AZ)

An Outstanding Book!
I loved Girl Waiting with Gun. I was captivated from the very start and on the edge of my proverbial seat for the entire book. The story was humorous, suspenseful and totally engrossing. As I got near to the end, I began to read more slowly because I didn't want it to end.

I was very surprised when I read in the acknowledgement s that the story was based on true events. I was thrilled when I read that it would be a series.

I highly recommend this book to anyone that likes a rollicking good read!
Linda N. (Dallas, TX)

Constance is my new hero
I thoroughly immersed myself into this intriguing and delightful story of the Kopp sisters, each vulnerable yet strong in her own right. I particularly resonate with the oldest, Constance, who with true grit, courage, cleverness, resourcefulness and independence, meets the challenges that threaten her family. This is a good choice for book clubs, lovers of historical fiction, and any reader who loves seeing difficult challenges met by strong feminine protagonists.
Francine E. (Shirley, NY)

The Steely Determined Constance
Sometimes you choose your job profession, sometimes your profession chooses you. Such is the case in this entertaining and enjoyable read by Amy Stewart. The Kopp sisters, driving to town in their buggy in 1914 are hit by a motorcar driven by Henry Kaufman, a silk factory owner. He is a man of means used to getting his way. When Constance Kopp, the oldest sister, sends him an invoice for repairs to her buggy, all hell breaks loose!

We learn about the Kopp sisters. Constance is stubborn and single minded while trying to hide a family secret. Norma is cloistered; a shut-in more concerned with her pigeons than people. Fleurette, the youngest is a creative free spirit . These eccentric sisters, with the help of Sheriff Heath, try to collect the $50 fee from Kaufman for the buggy repair.

Henry Kaufman is a belligerent man, used to forcing his will on others but he is up against Constance Kopp, a force to be reckoned with. While Constance being schooled by Sheriff Heath, learns to use a revolver and gains investigative skills, Henry Kaufman ups his game.
BeckyH

First Woman deputy sheriff
Constance Kopp, the first woman Deputy Sheriff of New Jersey, is the heroine of this novel. Constance was a real person as are her sisters and the other law enforcement persons. The personalities of each is clearly defined. The story moves slowly, but is interesting with the detailed descriptions of life in 1914 in small towns, large cities and the family farm. The narrative is enhanced by the newspaper articles (real ones) that are interspersed throughout.
Altogether an engaging novel about an intriguing woman and her refreshingly novel family even with a fairly slow start.
4 of 5 stars
Barbara

Enjoyed the book very much
I found this to be a very enjoyable and thought provoking historic fiction. I was unaware of the happenings and social conditions in the early 1900's in New York/New Jersey. The book was informative and the characters were engaging and interesting. I have recommended this book to others and they, too, are enjoying it.

The Real-Life Kopp Sisters

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    by Franny Choi
    Calamity can cohabit with joy, and you and I have, on some plane, accepted that absurd reality. We ...
  • Book Jacket: Bloodbath Nation
    Bloodbath Nation
    by Paul Auster
    In recent years, Booker Prize­–nominated novelist Paul Auster has increasingly turned to ...
  • Book Jacket: The Nazi Conspiracy
    The Nazi Conspiracy
    by Brad Meltzer, Josh Mensch
    The Nazi Conspiracy by Brad Meltzer and Josh Mensch was a big hit with our First Impressions readers...
    Yonder
    by Jabari Asim
    The captivating historical novel Yonder turns an intimate lens towards the tragedy and survivorship ...

The Mitford Affair
by Marie Benedict
An explosive novel of history's most notorious sisters, one of whom will have to choose: her country or her family?

Members Recommend

Exiles
    by Jane Harper

A captivating new mystery from New York Times bestselling and award-winning author Jane Harper.

Wade in the Water
    by Nyani Nkrumah

A gripping debut novel of female power and vulnerability, race, and class set in a small Mississippi town in the early 1980s.

River Sing Me Home
    by Eleanor Shearer

A remarkable debut about a mother's gripping journey across the Caribbean to find her stolen children in the aftermath of slavery.

It's A G T Me

I like a thin book because it will steady a table...