MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Best Boy, plus links to write your own review.

Best Boy

Bradley Sides

There is 1 reader review for Best Boy

Diane S.

Best Boy
As soon as you start reading you enter the mind and thoughts of fifty something Todd Aaron, an autistic man who has lived at the Payton Living Center for a good portion of his life. The wonderful and sometimes strange ways he looks at things and people. One cannot help but take this character to heart. He is trusted at the Center being the oldest resident there, and is usually quite content with things with a few exceptions. His new room=mate at the cottage who tries repeatedly to give Todd, what he calls the volts. Also the new employee of the center who he calls, "Mike the Apron" who reminds him of his abusive father and who he finds frightening. He has a wonderful caretaker called Raykene, and though employees and residents come and go, she has been with him for quite a while. A new love interest for Todd as well, and all these things together spiral out of control until Todd takes to the road.

This novel is sometimes sad, as when Todd remembers his mother, now dead, who circled him with love and created a feeling within him to which he wants to return. His relationship with his brother is difficult, he doesn't understand Todd and Todd doesn't understand him. So we also get a firsthand view of the prob;ems in a family where one is different. A novel of memories, how we cherish them, how they still have the power to heal or hurt.

A very good story, of course I don't know how realistic the portrayal of this autistic man is, not having had any personal knowledge of autism or what it entails. I did however, read in an author interview that indeed Gottlieb does, having a brother with autism who has been living in an institutionalized setting since the age of eleven. Another character I will not forget.

One-Month Free

Discover books that
entertain, engage & enlighten.

• Book Jacket: The Stone Girl
    The Stone Girl
    by Dirk Wittenborn
    The Stone Girl by Dirk Wittenborn was a hit with our First Impressions reviewers, with 19 out of 21 ...
  • Book Jacket: The Last Train to Key West
    The Last Train to Key West
    by Chanel Cleeton
    The Last Train to Key West by Chanel Cleeton received very positive comments from our First ...
  • Book Jacket: Tokyo Ueno Station
    Tokyo Ueno Station
    by Yu Miri
    Kazu is a ghost, seemingly condemned to haunt one of Japan's busiest train stations, the grounds of ...
    Delayed Rays of a Star
    by Amanda Lee Koe
    Amanda Lee Koe's Delayed Rays of a Star begins with a late-1920s photo of three women at a party in ...

The Voyage of the Morning Light
    by Marina Endicott

A sweeping novel set aboard a merchant ship sailing through the South Pacific in 1912.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
by Christy Lefteri

This moving, intimate, and beautifully written novel puts human faces on the Syrian war.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Wedding Thief

The Wedding Thief
by Mary Simses

Funny, soulful, and as sweet as buttercream, The Wedding Thief is the perfect summer read.

N M Cup O T