BookBrowse has a new look! Learn more about the update here.

What readers think of Villa America, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Villa America by Liza Klaussmann

About This Book

There is 1 reader review for Villa America

Diane S.

Villa America
The novels of the Jazz Age have such a special atmosphere if done well. This age produced so many fine writers and artists whose works endure even now. Gerald and Sara Murphy are a couple I had read about in other novels but really didn't know very much about. In this novel, Klaussmann centers on this time period by focusing on their relationship, their friends, their struggles and the wonderful time they had at Villa America in the French Rivera.

The Murphy's were friends, were well liked by Dom Passos, Hemingway, Pauline and Hadley, the Fitzgeralds, Cole Porter Picasso and many others. All are included in this book. The book starts with Gerald's and Sara's childhood, and moves on to their marriage, their family and why they built Villa America. There they were golden, happy, loved, threw parties, made trips, attended the bull fight and running of the bulls with the Hemingways and tried to be the best they could be. I am always amazed at the prodigious amount of alcohol they all drank.

This book is well and atmospherically written. A time of excess, of divorces and changing relationships, yet the Murphy's stayed together and raised their family. So much of it is based on real people and things that happened to them and with them. The Gerald's time in the sun would come to an end, domestic heartbreaks would send them away from Villa America, never to return. The ending of the book is one I loved, though some may not, I thought it was brilliant. An authors note, detailing where facts were sourced and what was real and what was fiction is included. Like all good books this book will lead me to three others, one Tender is the Night, is apparently modeled after and dedicated to the Murphys. Also a few nonfiction books mentioned by the author in the afterword. Recommend for all fans of this time period, the Great Gatsby and any of the others mentioned in my review. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and am sorry it ended.

Join BookBrowse today to start
discovering exceptional books!
Find Out More

• Book Jacket: A Gentleman and a Thief
    A Gentleman and a Thief
    by Dean Jobb
    In the Roaring Twenties—an era known for its flash and glamour as well as its gangsters and ...
  • Book Jacket: Early Sobrieties
    Early Sobrieties
    by Michael Deagler
    Dennis Monk is sober now, and he expects some applause. Or at least some recognition that he's ...
  • Book Jacket: The Coin
    The Coin
    by Yasmin Zaher
    A popular choice for book jackets in recent years, perhaps especially in the historical fiction ...
  • Book Jacket: The Night of Baba Yaga
    The Night of Baba Yaga
    by Akira Otani, Sam Bett
    When Yoriko Shindo gets into a brawl on a busy street in 1970s Tokyo, she has no idea what the ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Lady Tan's Circle of Women
by Lisa See
Lisa See's latest historical novel, inspired by the true story of a woman physician from 15th-century China.
The 1619 Project
by Nikole Hannah-Jones
An impactful expansion of groundbreaking journalism, The 1619 Project offers a revealing vision of America's past and present.

Members Recommend

The Very Long, Very Strange Life of Isaac Dahl
    by Bart Yates

A saga spanning 12 significant days across nearly 100 years in the life of a single man.

L T C O of the B

Win This Book
Win Smothermoss

Smothermoss by Alisa Alering

A haunting, imaginative, and twisting tale of two sisters and the menacing, unexplained forces that threaten them and their rural mountain community.