What readers think of Girl in the Dark, plus links to write your own review.

Girl in the Dark

Sinéad Fitzgibbon

There is 1 reader review for Girl in the Dark

CarolK

A life of Darkness
It is hard to imagine the true implications of living a life in the dark. Anna Lyndsey (pen name) allows us glimpse of her black box life in this beautifully poetic memoir. If it is often emotionally devastating for the reader, envision that we get to go back to our world of light.

It begins slowly with light sensitivity, burning facial skin when sitting in front of a computer screen.

”Burns? Burns like the worst kind of sunburn. Burns like someone is holding a flame-thrower to my head."

Rather than diminishing, this sensitivity to light progresses and Lyndsey’s life is changed forever. Had she written Girl in the Dark in diary format, it may have kept my attention. Instead, she chose to present a group of vignettes in no particular order of occurrence making this blueprint of her daily living a compelling reality.

Lyndsey does not seek our sympathy. She presents it like it is, in itself a way to pass her days.

My book is marked with so many colorful sticky notes, red, green, purple. If I were to quote each passage that touched me I’d be guilty of infringement.

"I covet tales of human beings in extremis; want to know how they felt, what they did, how they bore it.”

This, in the end, may be why I found my way to Girl in the Dark. It is an exquisitely written testament to the human spirit. I have learned something invaluable in its reading. My hope is that you will also.

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

• Book Jacket: Moth
    Moth
    by Melody Razak
    On August 15, 1947, India gained independence from the United Kingdom, and on that same day the ...
  • Book Jacket: All the Lonely People
    All the Lonely People
    by Mike Gayle
    Mike Gayle's charming novel All the Lonely People introduces us to Hubert Bird, an 82-year-old ...
  • Book Jacket: Perish
    Perish
    by LaToya Watkins
    It's a commonly cited fact that many perpetrators of sexual abuse, particularly men, are victims of ...
  • Book Jacket: Afterlives
    Afterlives
    by Abdulrazak Gurnah
    Afterlives, from Nobel Prize winner Abdulrazak Gurnah, begins in late 19th century East Africa in ...

The Ways We Hide
by Kristina McMorris

Members Recommend

Natural History
    by Andrea Barrett

The Family Izquierdo
    by Rubén Degollado

A masterful debut that weaves together the lives of three generations of a Mexican American family bound by love, and a curse.

Censorship, like charity, should begin at home: but unlike charity, it should end there.

Y Can't G H A