What readers think of The Sympathizer, plus links to write your own review.

The Sympathizer

Poornima Apte

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Sympathizer

John Otim

On the eve of departure
In the last days as they prepared to evacuate and return home, as personified by Claude, a veteran senior CIA operative in Saigon, the Americans were as cool as can be. Outwardly that is. The atmosphere in the embassy told a different story. There tempers were raw and the scenes were ugly. Among the South Vietnamese officials still in Saigon, matters were even worse. You get all of these just in brief first chapter. Which was all I could get access to as a poor third world academic. Even from this obviously very limited sample, I can say without fear, that this is a really good story, skillfully crafted and told.
Pat

Thoughtful, Painful, Truthful
The author helps us to see the humanity and inhumanity, which is intrinsic in every person and in every war. He guides us to remember and to know the terrible truths about war and history that we have forgotten or never known. The narrator is painfully introspective; and if we approach the book with an open mind, we become painfully introspective as well. Intense and interesting. A book full of wisdom.
Roberta

Grim
If you hate quotation marks, love depressing books, need more reasons to hate America, like upsetting scenes of torture and killing, then this book is for you.

The Fall of Saigon

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Wrong End of the Telescope
    The Wrong End of the Telescope
    by Rabih Alameddine
    Rabih Alameddine's The Wrong End of the Telescope follows Mina, a Lebanese American doctor who ...
  • Book Jacket: Lightning Strike
    Lightning Strike
    by William Kent Krueger
    It is the summer of 1963 in Tamarack County, Minnesota. Just outside the small town of Aurora, ...
  • Book Jacket: Skinship
    Skinship
    by Yoon Choi
    The fine thing about short stories in general is their way of following characters through ...
    The Last Mona Lisa
    by Jonathan Santlofer
    In 1911, the Mona Lisa disappeared from its home at the Louvre in Paris. It took two years for the ...

Morningside Heights
by Joshua Henkin
A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

Flesh & Blood
    by N. West Moss

This beautifully written memoir offers insight, understanding, and joy.

Win This Book!
Win Sisters of the Great War

Sisters of the Great War by Suzanne Feldman

A powerful novel of two unconventional American sisters who volunteer at the front during World War I.

Y A B Up T W T