Reader reviews and comments on Black River, plus links to write your own review.

by S.M. Hulse

Sarah Tomp

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Black River

bridgnut

Black River
I likes this book and thought it was quite good as a debut.

I would look forward to another book by this author.
Tired Bookreader

Full of Surprises
The author took a challenging issue and kept the story moving in unexpected directions. Twice I thought I knew what was going to happen and twice I was wrong. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a masculine story.
LiteraryLass

Black River
Outstanding debut from Hulse, hard to believe this is her first effort, impressive.

Hulse manages to capture the emotional depths of her protagonists. Their three dimensionality, their individual voices and backstory’s all well crafted. I felt she delved into the masculinity of Wes and Dennis brilliantly, especially given Hulse is female. Her characters are powerful, their depths economically contained yet unleashed silently and poignantly. I connected with Wes, his struggles, anguish, hope, anger discernible, I was imbued long after the ending. Each character’s torment over relationship dynamics was halting, the complexity and intricacies of relationships and expectations skillfully explored.

Intense, affecting, evocative, a moving story undiluted with sentiments or a tidy rushed ending expected of a neophyte author. A gem of a penetrating story penned by a very gifted author.

Crafting a Violin

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: We Are Not Free
    We Are Not Free
    by Traci Chee
    Author Traci Chee is best known for her young adult fantasy trilogy, The Reader series. We Are Not ...
  • Book Jacket: The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    by Jennifer Hofmann
    The title of Jennifer Hofmann's perceptive debut novel with its bureaucratese strongly suggests a ...
  • Book Jacket: His Only Wife
    His Only Wife
    by Peace Adzo Medie
    21-year-old Afi is a talented Ghanaian seamstress eager to study fashion design, but her life is ...
  • Book Jacket: We Have Been Harmonized
    We Have Been Harmonized
    by Kai Strittmatter
    You'd be forgiven if, while reading We Have Been Harmonized, you momentarily mistook it for a ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Find Me
by André Aciman

The author of the worldwide bestseller Call Me by Your Name revisits its complex and beguiling characters.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C