Reader reviews and comments on Black River, plus links to write your own review.

by S.M. Hulse

Sarah Tomp

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Black River

bridgnut

Black River
I likes this book and thought it was quite good as a debut.

I would look forward to another book by this author.
Tired Bookreader

Full of Surprises
The author took a challenging issue and kept the story moving in unexpected directions. Twice I thought I knew what was going to happen and twice I was wrong. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a masculine story.
LiteraryLass

Black River
Outstanding debut from Hulse, hard to believe this is her first effort, impressive.

Hulse manages to capture the emotional depths of her protagonists. Their three dimensionality, their individual voices and backstory’s all well crafted. I felt she delved into the masculinity of Wes and Dennis brilliantly, especially given Hulse is female. Her characters are powerful, their depths economically contained yet unleashed silently and poignantly. I connected with Wes, his struggles, anguish, hope, anger discernible, I was imbued long after the ending. Each character’s torment over relationship dynamics was halting, the complexity and intricacies of relationships and expectations skillfully explored.

Intense, affecting, evocative, a moving story undiluted with sentiments or a tidy rushed ending expected of a neophyte author. A gem of a penetrating story penned by a very gifted author.

Crafting a Violin

• Book Jacket: A Ladder to the Sky
    A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne
    Of our 44 First Impression readers, 32 gave A Ladder to the Sky a four- or five-star review for an ...
  • Book Jacket: In Extremis
    And The Ocean Was Our Sky
    by Patrick Ness

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne

A seductive, unputdownable psychodrama following one brilliant, ruthless man.

Win Severance