Reader reviews and comments on Black River, plus links to write your own review.

by S.M. Hulse

Sarah Tomp

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Black River

bridgnut

Black River
I likes this book and thought it was quite good as a debut.

I would look forward to another book by this author.
Tired Bookreader

Full of Surprises
The author took a challenging issue and kept the story moving in unexpected directions. Twice I thought I knew what was going to happen and twice I was wrong. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a masculine story.
LiteraryLass

Black River
Outstanding debut from Hulse, hard to believe this is her first effort, impressive.

Hulse manages to capture the emotional depths of her protagonists. Their three dimensionality, their individual voices and backstory’s all well crafted. I felt she delved into the masculinity of Wes and Dennis brilliantly, especially given Hulse is female. Her characters are powerful, their depths economically contained yet unleashed silently and poignantly. I connected with Wes, his struggles, anguish, hope, anger discernible, I was imbued long after the ending. Each character’s torment over relationship dynamics was halting, the complexity and intricacies of relationships and expectations skillfully explored.

Intense, affecting, evocative, a moving story undiluted with sentiments or a tidy rushed ending expected of a neophyte author. A gem of a penetrating story penned by a very gifted author.

Crafting a Violin

• Book Jacket: American Prison
    American Prison
    by Shane Bauer
    After spending over two years in Iran's notorious Evin Prison for supposedly crossing the country's ...
  • Book Jacket: Small Fry
    Small Fry
    by Lisa Brennan-Jobs
    Small Fry is the debut memoir from Lisa Brennan-Jobs, long-time journalist and writer, and oldest ...
  • Book Jacket: The Winter Soldier
    The Winter Soldier
    by Daniel Mason
    Imagine the thousands of confounding cases doctors face routinely for which diagnoses are hard to ...
  • Book Jacket: Brother
    Brother
    by David Chariandy
    Brother is the brief, moving account of how a single, tragic moment in time can alter the course of ...

The Removes by Tatjana Soli

A powerful, transporting novel about the addictive intensity and freedom of the American frontier.

French Exit
    by Patrick deWitt

A brilliant and darkly comic novel from bestselling author Patrick deWitt.

Win The Clockmaker's Daughter