What readers think of The Lion's Game, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Nov 2000, 944 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for The Lion's Game

G

garrettgenovese@yahoo.com
My personal favorite book of my life so far. It would be a tragedy to ruin John Coreys image in my head by Nick Cage stinking up the screen with his horrible acting. Clooney is alright, I'm thinking younger. Maybe Jeremy Renner, either way this book is made for the big screen, hope they do it right!

Wonderful Book i hope there could be a second part
Ruth A. Permisa

I am just an amateur reader but after reading The General's daughter of DeMille, i did crave for more DeMille's novels. I have also read The Plum Island. But what really amazed me a lot is its sequel, The Lion's Game. I was really absorbed by the book that i'm not able to do other things but finishing the story. Despite of my hectic schedule as diligent student, I really spend my time in a wise way by reading DeMille's book.
Lion's Game is a fantastic novel. John Corey fascinates me a lot. DeMille has this twitching in the plot of the story that is really enjoyable. Although Asad Khalil has not yet been caught, I'm expecting that he should have been. Well, I am really anticipating for the squel of The Lion's Game. I really want to have justice on the mass murder at JFK Airport. See, I was really moved by the story.

I ahve thoroughly enjoyed The Lion's game, although I wish Asad <<edited for potential plot spoiler content>>. Perhaps it would be better to leave it until the next part. I really hope it comes up soon, and please inform me on this forum what it will be called, so that I can get it. Thanks. C you
John E. Pollock

"Lions Game" was my introduction to the work of Mr. De Mille in July last year. Superb! Working in Libya at the time as I was added somewhat to my thorough enjoyment of a totally plausible, riveting storyline. Afraid my copy has become somewhat tatty nowas just about everyone of my fellow expats has borrowed it. A must make for a movie with George Clooney/ Nicholas Cage as Det Corey and Nicole Kidman as his partner. Art Malik as the Lion. Since then I have not been dissapointed at all with "Rivers of Babylon" - surely one of the paciest stories ever told (if not an infantry mans handbook as well). "Up Country" - never been to Vietnam but know what to look out for if I ever do with the nastiest sounding bad guy in print! Also a great movie with cast as above. "Plum Island" - read it after Lions Game just terrific. "Charm School"- perhaps the best of its kind and another great movie crying out to be made. "Gold Coast" - a trifle long winded perhaps in getting to what I thought was the inevitable but still a can't put down. "Mayday" - I am still a frequent flyer despite this terrific tale but I'm sure others who may have read it are not. "Talbot Odyssey" and "Cathedral" two terrific tales instrumental in my making my first trip to New York City earlier this year. Will have to wait until I'm at an airport bookshop again in two weeks time for my next fix of DeMille who has taken over as my favourite author ever. Looks like "Save the Day"

MarkVW
DeMille is an old pro, and you'll see why in "The Lion's Game". He brings back smart-alecky John Corey in the first person and despite the occasionally annoying humor, gives the reader a sense of what it's like to be part of a team hunting the most feared terrorist in the world, with all the trepidation, bureaucracy, and fact spinning one might expect here. But he really saves his strength in the motivations behind Asad Khalil and while you certainly don't sympathize with the Libyan, you can almost understand where he's coming from. The juxtaposition of the two points of view are handled well, and the book is a good cat-and-mouse tale in its simplest sense. Combine intelligence, raw humor, sex, knowledge of military and police procedures, human drama and pulp fiction and you have a typical DeMille novel. This is his best since "The Charm School". Highly recommended.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Song of the Six Realms
    Song of the Six Realms
    by Judy I. Lin
    Xue'er has no place in the kingdom of Qi or any of the Six Realms. Her name means "Solitary Snow" ...
  • Book Jacket: The Demon of Unrest
    The Demon of Unrest
    by Erik Larson
    In the aftermath of the 1860 presidential election, the divided United States began to collapse as ...
  • Book Jacket: Daughters of Shandong
    Daughters of Shandong
    by Eve J. Chung
    Daughters of Shandong is the debut novel of Eve J. Chung, a human rights lawyer living in New York. ...
  • Book Jacket: Anita de Monte Laughs Last
    Anita de Monte Laughs Last
    by Xochitl Gonzalez
    Brooklyn-based novelist Xochitl Gonzalez is an inspiring writer to follow. At forty, she decided to ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Romantic Comedy
by Curtis Sittenfeld
A comedy writer's stance on love shifts when a pop star challenges her assumptions in this witty and touching novel.

Members Recommend

This Strange Eventful History
    by Claire Messud

An immersive, masterful story of a family born on the wrong side of history.

Daughters of Shandong
    by Eve J. Chung

Eve J. Chung's debut novel recounts a family's flight to Taiwan during China's Communist revolution.

Win This Book
Win Only the Brave

Only the Brave by Danielle Steel

A powerful, sweeping historical novel about a courageous woman in World War II Germany.

F T a T