What readers think of The Nightingale, plus links to write your own review.

The Nightingale

by Kristin Hannah

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah X
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

Feb 2015, 448 pages
    Apr 2017, 592 pages

There are currently 54 reader reviews for The Nightingale

Techeditor

You don’t want to miss this book
Although I was pretty sure I would disagree with the majority of other readers who said that THE NIGHTINGALE by Kristin Hannah is an excellent book, I can now honestly tell you to believe it. I had read two other books by Hannah and was not impressed, so I doubted that she had it in her to write like this. I was wrong.

This book has been reviewed so much already, it is sufficient to say that it is a piece of historical fiction that highlights the remarkable women of France when the Germans occupied that country during World War II. The story concentrates on two sisters, one based on an actual person, the other based on the lives of many women in France at that time.

So many books have been written about World War II, you may tend to avoid reading more. But this is one you don't want to miss.
JJB

Great Read about WWII in France
Excellent book. Highly recommend!
K.McBride

The Best Book I Have Ever Read
I used to teach high school English, so I have read more than my share of novels. I used to read them and make AR tests so the kids would have books to read that they liked. I preferred mysteries but could not help but read a novel with so many star reviews. I reluctantly bought it and for the next two days I cried, laughed, hoped, hurt, etc. It affected me profoundly. I cannot recommend this novel enough. Even if it is not your usual genre, read the sample and you will be hooked.
Soft Fuzzy Sweater

Inspired
I have read Kristen Hannah's other books and considered then 'soap operas on vellum'-that is, angst ridden, tear jerkers. Where did 'The Nightingale" come from? There is a lot of emotion in it, but the characters are brave and daring--they act! I believe Ms. Hannah was 'channeling' the spirit of departed Maque fighter.
Susan Amon

Excellent
I debated reading this book as I feared it would be sad and while it had sadness, the hope and strength of the sisters prevailed and it was an excellent read.
gloria kessinger

Good Screams for "Last Scream"
Very seldom have I read a book that I couldn"t put down, but "Last Scream" was it! This book is so in-depth, and so engrossing it totally draws you into the story.
There is a killer stalking women who have already suffered abuse in their home lives. Try as hard as you may, you still won't be able to figure out who this is until the explosive ending!
There is a titillating love affair between an F.B.I. Agent and and Texas Ranger. But what is so beautiful, you get to use your imagination.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mystery/thrillers. Snatch this book off the shelf, or for your Kindle, as quick as you can, of you will be missing one of the best books of the season!
gloria kessinger

Eye-Opener to "Nightscream"
OMG, Morgan Hannah McDonald has done it again with "Nigthtscream"! This is one of the creepiest, yet one or the best thrillers I've ever read. It is not only one, but two thrillers in one book. After reading "Sandman", her previous book, the characters were so familiar, it was like greeting family members. The two stories are connected due to the characters, yet you will find yourself constantly looking for other connections - I mean, how could such horrendous, gut-wrenching events occur without some kind of connection? I'll never tell! You must read it for yourself! Better yet, start with the "Sandman", then follow up with "Nightscream". Take my word for it, this is one book deal you definitely want to be a part of...
Amy B

One of the Best Books of the Year
Having taken extra time to do an excellent job, we readers are especially happy that this wonderful book has been WELL WORTH THE WAIT. I felt this books spoke to me and opened me up to the world of WWII and the women who lived through it. Please read this book YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Paradise, Nevada
    Paradise, Nevada
    by Dario Diofebi
    In Dario Diofebi's novel Paradise, Nevada, the neon allure of Las Vegas is pulled back to reveal ...
  • Book Jacket: Things We Lost to the Water
    Things We Lost to the Water
    by Eric Nguyen
    Spanning over 30 years, Eric Nguyen's debut novel Things We Lost to the Water is epic in scope but ...
  • Book Jacket: The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    by Dawnie Walton
    Within the general arc of many well-established and chronicled historical events is oral history's ...
  • Book Jacket: Monkey Boy
    Monkey Boy
    by Francisco Goldman
    Francisco Goldman's Monkey Boy exists in the liminal space between memoir and fiction. Like Goldman ...

The Book of Lost Names
by Kristin Harmel
A heartrending novel of survival, inspired by an astonishing true story from World War II.

Morningside Heights
    by Joshua Henkin

A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

Win This Book!
Win Together We Will Go

Together We Will Go
by J. Michael Straczynski

A novel as much about the will to live as the choice to end it.

C T T Chase