Reader reviews and comments on The Nightingale, plus links to write your own review.

The Nightingale

Apr 2017, 592 pages

There are currently 53 reader reviews for The Nightingale

JRae

Meh...Over-rated
A formulaic "historical" romance novel in a WWII setting, fraught with overwrought sentimentality and shocking scenarios, as well as historical inaccuracies to keep the reader turning pages. Writing style is high school level...not for the reader to wants a challenging thought-provoking read.
Grumpy Grandma

AMixed Bag
While I found the book difficult to put down, I was also aware of glaring deficiencies. The author doesn't seem to be able to write authentic dialogue. Ari-Daniel is certainly old enough to remember Viane and Sophie, so why hasn't he tried to find them? Why has one of the heroines ended up in the US? The plot line is absorbing, but the relationships of the characters are muddled.
J B

Embarrassingly shoddy writing historical, plot inaccuracies!
Breathtakingly awful prose in a shoddily pieced-together tale.

Not recommended at all.
SFCook

Where is the editor?
Where to begin? Or, I should say, how can I ever finish this? It's for book club or I would have abandoned it after 50 pages. Discrepancies abound. Facts glossed over. Telling instead of showing, the mark of a poor writer. The author grinds these out every year or two. This is my first and definitely my last. For great writing, well developed characters, and authentic atmosphere, read the result of 10 years of research and the Pulitzer Prize winner, "All The Light We Cannot See". Skip Miss Hannah. You deserve better.
Susan Logan

Full of errors
I read many books and write many reviews. The rave reviews for this book have troubled me like no other. I was struck by the countless plot inconsistencies, anachronisms, flat characters, improbable behaviors, word repetitions and historical and cultural inaccuracies. It seems there was no one at the wheel on this one and yet the public adores it. The French who have reviewed it seemed torn between amusement and disgust. World War II buffs who are knowledgeable about the French Resistance likewise. Even if you don't care about the historical and cultural errors- which you may not even realize- how about the plot inconsistencies? The author forgets to age Isabel 4 years along with her sister. Plants growing in a ravaged garden. Chickens wandering about while people are starving. Roses growing over a wall during a French winter. People freezing in one paragraph and perspiring in the next. I could go and on. I was jolted out of the world the author was creating so many times by the mistakes I could not possibly enjoy this book.

• Book Jacket: The Perfectionists