Reader reviews and comments on The Boys in the Boat, plus links to write your own review.

The Boys in the Boat

May 2014, 416 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Boys in the Boat

Debra

Exceptional
This is an an amazing story about an amazing group of young men. The author wove in the history of the times with the personal story of the lead character. I learned a great deal about rowing and the Olympics. A must read!
Rochelle Ginsburg

A Book for All Reasons
If you are a junior or senior, male or female, sports enthusiast or history buff, a lover of ideas or action, or if you thrive on suspense, this book will capture your mind as well as your heart. Daniel Brown literally puts you into the time and the places that he describes by providing vivid details about everything he introduces. You taste the dust, and falter in the winds, and pull your sweater tighter around you to protect yourself from the driving rain. As the characters experience hope, pride, frustration and elation, so will you. This is a book where, even though you most likely know the outcome (the author tells you from the beginning), you hold your breath as you turn every page. The book contains enough material to inspire a hundred great sermons, but it is not sermonic. This is a truly great story that will make you care a lot about something you may have very little knowledge about, and attach you to real people you have likely never heard of. You don't just read this book, you experience it, and as a result of that experience, like with all significant experiences, you emerge enriched, invigorated, and maybe, even a little bit wiser. When I was a little girl and responded to everything that I was told to do by asking "Why?" The answer was frequently, "Because." In the unlikely probability that you might respond to my recommendation that you read "The Boys in the Boat" by asking, "Why?" My answer would be the same: Simply, "Because." (I promise, you won't be sorry!)
jillcarmel

Boys in the Boat
Our book club meets at the library and we read Unbroken about a year ago so I wasn't sure about another book if it was the same. I'm glad the club picked it or I would have missed out on another really good book.

I was impressed with not just the historical facts but the underlining message.

We meet December at a pie and coffee shop. I can hardly wait to get with the other members to compare notes.I am the member who always asks, "which actor would you like to see play each character?"

I wrote to the author; Daniel James Brown regarding what I like to do at the meetings and he shot me a note that said,"save the spot for me to play George the canoe builder." I never expected to hear from him.

On his site I noticed he wrote two other books that also sound very interesting.

• Book Jacket: Kochland
    Kochland
    by Christopher Leonard
    Many Americans first heard of Koch Industries (or "the Koch Brothers") during the 2016 presidential ...
  • Book Jacket: Everything Inside
    Everything Inside
    by Edwidge Danticat
    Edwidge Danticat is a Haitian-American writer, and Haiti looms large as a presence in this ...
  • Book Jacket: The Beekeeper of Aleppo
    The Beekeeper of Aleppo
    by Christy Lefteri
    In Christy Lefteri's sophomore novel, The Beekeeper of Aleppo, the author introduces readers to ...
  • Book Jacket: Marilou Is Everywhere
    Marilou Is Everywhere
    by Sarah Elaine Smith
    "The point is that at that moment in my life," writes the narrator of Sarah Elaine Smith's debut ...

Yale Needs Women
    by Anne Gardiner Perkins

A tale of courage in the face of arrogance that remains eerily relevant on U.S. campuses today.

The Secrets We Kept
    by Lara Prescott

Reese Witherspoon's Sept Book Club Pick!
    "This is the rare page-turner with prose that’s as wily as its plot."—EW

Book Club
The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
by Kim Michele Richardson

A story of raw courage, fierce strength, and one woman's belief that books can carry us anywhere.

Win Chase Darkness with Me

How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders

Have you ever wanted to solve a murder? Gather the clues the police overlooked? Put together the pieces? Identify the suspect?

S S A C A Big S