MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Boys in the Boat, plus links to write your own review.

The Boys in the Boat

May 2014, 416 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Boys in the Boat

Debra (09/05/15)

Exceptional
This is an an amazing story about an amazing group of young men. The author wove in the history of the times with the personal story of the lead character. I learned a great deal about rowing and the Olympics. A must read!
Rochelle Ginsburg (07/25/14)

A Book for All Reasons
If you are a junior or senior, male or female, sports enthusiast or history buff, a lover of ideas or action, or if you thrive on suspense, this book will capture your mind as well as your heart. Daniel Brown literally puts you into the time and the places that he describes by providing vivid details about everything he introduces. You taste the dust, and falter in the winds, and pull your sweater tighter around you to protect yourself from the driving rain. As the characters experience hope, pride, frustration and elation, so will you. This is a book where, even though you most likely know the outcome (the author tells you from the beginning), you hold your breath as you turn every page. The book contains enough material to inspire a hundred great sermons, but it is not sermonic. This is a truly great story that will make you care a lot about something you may have very little knowledge about, and attach you to real people you have likely never heard of. You don't just read this book, you experience it, and as a result of that experience, like with all significant experiences, you emerge enriched, invigorated, and maybe, even a little bit wiser. When I was a little girl and responded to everything that I was told to do by asking "Why?" The answer was frequently, "Because." In the unlikely probability that you might respond to my recommendation that you read "The Boys in the Boat" by asking, "Why?" My answer would be the same: Simply, "Because." (I promise, you won't be sorry!)
jillcarmel (11/30/13)

Boys in the Boat
Our book club meets at the library and we read Unbroken about a year ago so I wasn't sure about another book if it was the same. I'm glad the club picked it or I would have missed out on another really good book.

I was impressed with not just the historical facts but the underlining message.

We meet December at a pie and coffee shop. I can hardly wait to get with the other members to compare notes.I am the member who always asks, "which actor would you like to see play each character?"

I wrote to the author; Daniel James Brown regarding what I like to do at the meetings and he shot me a note that said,"save the spot for me to play George the canoe builder." I never expected to hear from him.

On his site I noticed he wrote two other books that also sound very interesting.

• Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...
  • Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...

The Dark Lady's Mask
    by Mary Sharratt

Based on the life of the first professional woman poet in Renaissance England, and her collaboration with Shakespeare.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun