MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Wind Is Not a River, plus links to write your own review.

The Wind Is Not a River

Norah Piehl

There is 1 reader review for The Wind Is Not a River

BobbieC

War Comes to Alaska
Who know that WWII was so close to mainland USA? This fictional account of the secretive battle to keep the Japanese from escalating the front to the USA is told from the perspective of a journalist caught behind enemy lines and his wife who searches for him. John Easley, after his plane is shot down, fights to stay alive on a remote Aleutian Island, and his wife travels to Alaska on a USO trip to find him. The writing is crisp, evocative and succinct - no wasted words here. The writer describes loneliness with such powerful images, the book was hard to put down. Alice, Easley's wife, is an amazing, strong and dedicated woman who fights protocol, her mixed feelings and the US Air Force to travel to Alaska to look for her husband. I am not so sure I enjoyed the last couple of chapters as much as the rest of the book, but the book and its characters stayed with me long after I finished it.

Battle of the Aleutian Islands

• Book Jacket: The Revisioners
    The Revisioners
    by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton
    The chapters of Margaret Wilkerson Sexton's second novel, The Revisioners, alternate between three ...
  • Book Jacket: Mary Toft; or, The Rabbit Queen
    Mary Toft; or, The Rabbit Queen
    by Dexter Palmer
    The year is 1726 and the sleepy town of Godalming has been rocked by scandal. Called to the bedside ...
  • Book Jacket: Life Undercover
    Life Undercover
    by Amaryllis Fox
    Life Undercover, a riveting true-adventure memoir, reveals how and why a young woman decides to work...
  • Book Jacket: Celestial Bodies
    Celestial Bodies
    by Jokha Alharthi
    One typically expects to find a detailed family tree adorning the opening pages of, say, an epic ...

The Lost Man
by Jane Harper

"Strong characters, riveting plot and an honest look at life in the Australian outback make it easy to give this 5-stars!"
—BookBrowse

Lady Clementine
    by Marie Benedict

An illuminating look at one of history's most unusual and extraordinary women, Clementine Churchill.

You Were There Too
    by Colleen Oakley

Acclaimed author Colleen Oakley delivers a heart-wrenching and unforgettable love story.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win American Dirt

"A Grapes of Wrath for our times." - Don Winslow

This debut is already being hailed as a new American classic, and is the first book to receive a perfect 5-stars from BookBrowse reviewers!

I I A Broke, D F I