MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on On Such a Full Sea, plus links to write your own review.

On Such a Full Sea

Dec 2014, 432 pages

Poornima Apte

There is 1 reader review for On Such a Full Sea

Student at Millburn High School

Artistic writing style, mediocre story telling
I am a high school student. Over the summer of 2014, my entire high school (all four years) read this book for summer reading. I experienced much difficulty in trying to advance from page to page in this book. I even surveyed my classmates, none of which enjoyed reading the book either.

Not even my English teachers enjoyed the book. Why? For one, Chang-Rae Lee's On Such a Full Sea has a very slow beginning and a very abrupt ending. The climax takes place in the last three pages of the book while the plot only gets its momentum after the hundredth.

Chang-Rae Lee jumps from one unrelated event to another in every page and mentions at least two dozen forgettable characters, none of which have any important meaning to the plot. He strays from the main storyline at least three times in each chapter.

The book lost my attention in every paragraph. For a fiction novel, there is very little dialogue. When there is dialogue, Chang-Rae Lee does not bother to incorporate basic rules such as using quotation marks. Every chapter begins with an irrelevant, three to six paged philosophical essay. Each chapter includes an irrelevant, two to eight paged back story of some minor character. Each chapter includes only a few pages of the actual plot.

I repeat. I have literally encountered zero people at my school, student or teacher, Freshman or Senior, who liked this book. Literally zero. Do not buy it.

Delayed Rays of a Star
    by Amanda Lee Koe
    Amanda Lee Koe's Delayed Rays of a Star begins with a late-1920s photo of three women at a party in ...
  • Book Jacket: Sleepovers
    Sleepovers
    by Ashleigh Bryant Phillips
    In Ashleigh Bryant Phillips' debut story collection, Sleepovers, it can be difficult to keep tabs on...
    The Beekeeper of Aleppo
    by Christy Lefteri
    In Christy Lefteri's sophomore novel, The Beekeeper of Aleppo, the author introduces readers to ...
    Cantoras
    by Carolina De Robertis
    Cantoras by Carolina De Robertis follows five characters who share a house, troubles, joys and parts...

The Voyage of the Morning Light
    by Marina Endicott

A sweeping novel set aboard a merchant ship sailing through the South Pacific in 1912.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
by Christy Lefteri

This moving, intimate, and beautifully written novel puts human faces on the Syrian war.

Win Of Bears and Ballots

An Alaskan Adventure in Small-Town Politics

A charming account of holding local office with an entertaining, quirky cast of characters.

A S Louder T W