Reader reviews and comments on The Explanation for Everything, plus links to write your own review.

The Explanation for Everything

by Lauren Grodstein

The Explanation for Everything by Lauren Grodstein

Sep 2013, 372 pages
    May 2014, 384 pages

Poornima Apte

There is 1 reader review for The Explanation for Everything

Power Reviewer Dorothy T. (11/19/13)

Doesn't live up to its title
First of all, I recognized this as contemporary "literature" by the often and unnecessary use of vulgar language--it seems to be the norm now. That should have also been the clue that this novel would not turn out the way I would have liked.

Grodstein portrayed her Christian characters as unattractive and annoying, although as we got to know Melissa better her character became more likeable; maybe that was the author's attempt at balance? Although she did give a little attention to a reasonable explanation of intelligent design, the themes of inner change, healing, and learning to forgive were obviously Grodstein's focus. Ultimately some readers may be left feeling that nobody has any explanation for anything. This book might provide interesting topics for a book club discussion, but not for me.

The Scopes Trial

The Atomic Weight of Love
by Elizabeth J. Church

Mercies in Disguise
    by Gina Kolata

A story of hope, a family's genetic destiny, and the science that rescued them.

Our Short History
    by Lauren Grodstein

If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins

O My D B