Reader reviews and comments on The Explanation for Everything, plus links to write your own review.

The Explanation for Everything

May 2014, 384 pages

Poornima Apte

There is 1 reader review for The Explanation for Everything

Dorothy T.

Doesn't live up to its title
First of all, I recognized this as contemporary "literature" by the often and unnecessary use of vulgar language--it seems to be the norm now. That should have also been the clue that this novel would not turn out the way I would have liked.

Grodstein portrayed her Christian characters as unattractive and annoying, although as we got to know Melissa better her character became more likeable; maybe that was the author's attempt at balance? Although she did give a little attention to a reasonable explanation of intelligent design, the themes of inner change, healing, and learning to forgive were obviously Grodstein's focus. Ultimately some readers may be left feeling that nobody has any explanation for anything. This book might provide interesting topics for a book club discussion, but not for me.

The Scopes Trial

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: White Too Long
    White Too Long
    by Robert P. Jones
    Religious scholar Robert P. Jones doesn't pull any punches in his latest book, White Too Long: The ...
  • Book Jacket: Caste
    Caste
    by Isabel Wilkerson
    In 2020, the word "racist" remains taboo. Conceptually, racism is so culturally unacceptable, so ...
  • Book Jacket: The Deepest South of All
    The Deepest South of All
    by Richard Grant
    Author Richard Grant frequently uses his wanderlust to explore diverse stories that create a complex...
  • Book Jacket: Piranesi
    Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke
    Our First Impressions readers were delighted with this speculative novel by Susanna Clarke, her ...

The Blind Light
    by Stuart Evers

A multigenerational story about two families bound together by the tides of history.

The Exiles
by Christina Baker Kline

Win Agent Sonya

Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy

Master storyteller Ben Macintyre tells the true story behind the Cold War's most intrepid female spy.

I I M B T Give T T R