Reader reviews and comments on The Sound of Things Falling, plus links to write your own review.

The Sound of Things Falling

Poornima Apte

There is 1 reader review for The Sound of Things Falling

Diane S.

The Sound of Things Falling
There was just something about this book that was stylistically perfect. One of the most well constructed books I have ever read. The title is also perfect because things in this novel fall, airplanes fall, drug empires fall, an old zoo and estate that once belonged to Escobar falls into disrepair, a country falls victim to drugs and terror and lastly bodies that are shot fall soundlessly.

The prose is smooth, the setting and the realism that was Bogata in the 1970's. The history of a country destroyed by drugs, the way the people who lived through this period are forever effected is poignant The characters are original and well-rounded.

This novel also explores how memories can be triggered, whether they are reliable and how they can change and affect us later. Fate and death is explored in many different ways, as is friendship, relationships and love. Our very real need to love and understand.

Sometimes we read about the drug empires and their effects, but this book
showed how easy it is to fall in with one of these empires, their schemes that sound so simple at the time, but how seriously one can fall, costing them everything. Amazing story.

Pablo Escobar and His Excesses

The Driest Season
    by Meghan Kenny

The House of Broken Angels
    by Luis Alberto Urrea

The definitive Mexican-American immigrant story from an acclaimed storyteller.

Sometimes I Lie