What readers think of The Ocean at the End of the Lane, plus links to write your own review.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Cindy Anderson

There are currently 5 reader reviews for The Ocean at the End of the Lane

NutrButr

Thoughts
I had a family recommend this book to me saying that it was a good read. Neil Gaiman is an author I had heard of before as well, but didn't think much of him at the time. After finishing the book, I feel that the story was worth the read. At times it may seem a bit confusing and choppy, starting out with some information that didn't explain what was going on as well as I would have liked, but it was also fitting. There are even parts throughout the book that can easily be related to life. To quickly summarize, it is a story about an adult telling of his adventures as a young boy discovering things he never thought possible. Some strengths of the book involve a couple characters' views on life that leave the reader wondering if he or she has an imagination or not. Overall, I would recommend this book to someone. It contains adventure, fantasy, and thought-provoking originality.
Amy

Easily drawn in
The book was interesting. I enjoyed the way memories come through as you read. It was like having a conversation as I read.
Diana C

Where's the rest of it?
I was so very excited to read this book, but when I went to pick up a copy at my local bookstore and saw the size of it (very slim and small) I was disappointed before I ever even opened the front cover. I don't know about you, but I like a large, hard to manage hardcover that keeps you engaged for days and days. When I saw the size of this book, I knew it was a story that I would read in one sitting, which I did.

The story started interestingly enough, but evolved into what I would characterize as a science fiction/ghost story for adults. While the story is at times outlandish, the sweet and earnest nature of the narrating character endeared me to him and his story, albeit a short one.
Dorothy L

Disappointing Read
I'll be brief. I did not like this book. Why? It seemed obscure just to be obscure. It just seemed like the classic conflict of good and evil with new symbols that didn't work. I could not get into it at all. The only thing I thought interesting was the relationship between the protagonist and his family. It might have worked better as a short story. It didn't work as a novel. Was it science fiction? Was it horror? It was confusing, boring, and often tedious to read even though a short book. I couldn't help thinking of The Turn of the Screw which deals with supernatural and children as well and is a classic in the genre. I would not recommend this book.
AnnasGrammie

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
I tried but I just could not get into this book. Not sure what it was; science fiction; fantasy, an adult fairy tale. I'm just not sure. The only think I liked was the description of the relationship between the boy and his family. That was well developed.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Crossroads
    Crossroads
    by Jonathan Franzen
    Jonathan Franzen's Crossroads transports readers to the early 1970s, introducing us to a family on ...
  • Book Jacket: Chasing Me to My Grave
    Chasing Me to My Grave
    by Winfred Rembert
    Chasing Me to My Grave might be the most authentic, vulnerable autobiography you'll ever read. ...
  • Book Jacket: My Monticello
    My Monticello
    by Jocelyn Nicole Johnson
    In the incendiary opening story of My Monticello, Jocelyn Nicole Johnson's debut collection, a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Wrong End of the Telescope
    The Wrong End of the Telescope
    by Rabih Alameddine
    Rabih Alameddine's The Wrong End of the Telescope follows Mina, a Lebanese American doctor who ...

When Two Feathers Fell from the Sky
by Margaret Verble
A deliciously strange and daringly original novel from Pulitzer Prize finalist Margaret Verble.

Sisters of the Great War
    by Suzanne Feldman

A powerful novel of two unconventional American sisters who volunteer at the front during World War I.

The silence between the notes is as important as the notes themselves.

Y A B Up T W T