MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Her Last Breath, plus links to write your own review.

Her Last Breath

A Kate Burkholder Novel

by Linda Castillo

Her Last Breath by Linda Castillo X
Her Last Breath by Linda Castillo

Jun 2013, 320 pages
    Jul 2014, 320 pages

There are currently 28 reader reviews for Her Last Breath

Chris W. (Temple City, CA)

Amish mystery
A well written mystery involving a collision between an Amish family riding in their buggy and a high speed vehicle - was it an accident or murder? There was a lot of interesting information about police procedure and Amish culture. The characters were developed well. It is a page turner and I was really surprised by the ending. I look forward to reading the other books in this series but will note that this book stands alone. It would lend itself to fascinating discussions about the Amish way of life.
Portia A. (Mount Laurel, NJ)

A good read!
I enjoyed this very well written Amish thriller. I love a mystery that surprises me at the end, and "Her Last Breath" did exactly that. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 was that it is part of a series and I haven't read the previous books.
I will now.
Julia E. (Atlanta, GA)

As meaty as a Hostess Twinkie
Her Last Breath is author Linda Castillo's fifth in her mystery police procedurals featuring Kate Burkholder as police chief in the small Amish town of Painters Mill, Ohio.  The series began in 2007 with Sworn to Silence, which has recently been adapted into a  Lifetime Original TV movie.

Prior to the Amish series, Castillo was a prolific author of Romance novels for publishing imprints such as Berkley Sensation, Harlequin Intrigue, and Silhouette Intimate Moments. The Virginia Romance Writers awarded her its Holt Medallion.

Castillo's grounding in the Romance tradition is evident in Her Last Breath. A pleasing page-turner, the novel is as meaty as a Hostess Twinkie: two-dimensional characters, slim improbable plot. The book's saving grace is its setting in an  Amish community, and the intriguing  contrast  with surrounding Englisher (21st century American) culture.

A good beach book,  one that you would not regret leaving in the rental cottage at summer's end.
Mary G. (River Forest, IL)

A Good Crime Story but...
I was just impatient with it, but maybe that's just me. Castillo kept interrupting the mystery with the female cop's love life - or lack thereof - and I'm not a romance fan. Neither did I much care about learning her reasons for turning away love when she had the chance. Before you assume I'm hard to please, I very much liked the tracking of the murderer(s) (not to give anything away) and the Amish background. So if you like to mix your genres, this may be the book for you...for me, not so much.

• Book Jacket: Death in Mud Lick
    Death in Mud Lick
    by Eric Eyre
    When Eric Eyre, investigative and statehouse reporter for the Charleston Gazette-Daily, began ...
    Orange World and Other Stories
    by Karen Russell
    Karen Russell has a tremendous gift for crafting uncanny, through-the-looking glass worlds that are ...
  • Book Jacket: The Book of Longings
    The Book of Longings
    by Sue Monk Kidd
    The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd follows the life of Ana, a woman born in the Galilean city of ...
  • Book Jacket: Master Class
    Master Class
    by Christina Dalcher
    Christina Dalcher's Master Class shows America sleepwalking into a perfectionist eventuality not ...

The Prisoner's Wife
    by Maggie Brookes

Inspired by the true story of a courageous young woman who enters a Nazi POW camp to be with the man she loves.

Daughter of the Reich
    by Louise Fein

A spellbinding story of impossible love set against the backdrop of the Nazi regime.

The Paris Hours
by Alex George

One day in the City of Light. One night in search of lost time.

Win The House on Fripp Island

The House on Fripp Island
by Rebecca Kauffman

A taut, page-turning novel of secrets and strife.

B I T T Water