MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Her Last Breath, plus links to write your own review.

Her Last Breath

A Kate Burkholder Novel

by Linda Castillo

Her Last Breath by Linda Castillo X
Her Last Breath by Linda Castillo

Jun 2013, 320 pages
    Jul 2014, 320 pages

There are currently 28 reader reviews for Her Last Breath

Peggy K. (Long Beach, CA)

The Long Road Home
I look forward to each new book of Linda Castillo's Amish series. The tension is so tight it is almost unbearable. The opening scene with the accident brings you into the story and from that point you are hooked and can't put the book down. I find the Amish fascinating and what better way to learn and get a top notch thriller at the same time. This book will appeal to ages 16 and up and book clubs should enjoy discussing the Amish and the difficulties of doing police work in such a community. As always there is a wealth of information and not just about the Amish. There is psychological issues about friendship, love and what we blind ourselves to in our relationships. I don't think anyone will be disappointed in this mystery. Ms. Castillo's time has indeed come at last.
Cheryl W. (Cassville, MO)

Her Last Breath
I have read all of the books in the Kate Burkholder series and Linda Castillo just keeps getting better. This one kept me guessing until close to the end when I thought I had it figured out, and I did, to a point. Then there was a twist. I enjoyed this book very much, the only draw back was that I wasn't ready for it to end. I had some questions I still wanted answered. Maybe in the next one...
Carrol Ann S. (Ventura, CA)

Time Flies
Yes, Time Flies when I have a Linda Castillo book in my hands. I don't want to be interrupted until I have read the last word. The Police Chief Kate Burkholder series are interesting to me on so many levels, beginning with Kates' history, growing up Amish and leaving that community, but continuing to live in the area. As Police Chief she must interact regularly with all and face the enmity of former friends, neighbors and even her own family.
Ms. Castillo builds an interesting plot and paints word pictures giving me a glimpse into the Amish life as well as a look at an area of our country which is unknown to me. I look forward to the next chapter.
Tillie H. (Baltimore, MD)

Superb installment to this Amish series
Wow, Linda never fails to bring a suspenseful thriller to the readers. This one is no exception! Kate Burkholder continues to be torn between her former Amish life and her current Englisher life. People she has known her whole life are keeping secrets that she never would have expected, and she gets drawn into a tangle of lies and deceit that nearly kills her. This series just gets better and better all the time. If you love suspense and thrillers, this is a page-turner you won't want to put down.
Christie K. (Hobbs, NM)

Excellent Read
Wow, what a well written story! The writing is smooth, clear, and concise. We don't read anymore than what we need to in this book. And this makes it a read that's not overdone with flowery language or too much description. The story is wonderful. I found it hard to put down after the first two pages...just a really good story. I like Kate. She's tough and intelligent and a darn good Chief on the trail of the killer. I loved the surprise ending. I must admit I wasn't expecting a lot from this story. But I was wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone.
Grace W. (Corona del Mar, CA)

Breathtaking
Her Last Breath was the first Kate Burkholder Amish mystery that I've read, but it won't be my last. The story was so well crafted, and the characters and scenes were so vivid, that I was totally swept into the plot. The plot was suspenseful throughout, and the ending did not disappoint. The insights into Amish life and the alienation felt by former members of the community made this book more than just a mystery, but an escape into a lifestyle that is so different from my Southern California environment. I highly recommend Her Last Breath by Linda Castillo.
Rosanne S. (Franklin Square, NY)

Unexpected Murder
Her Last Breath by Linda Castillo is the first book of the Kate Burkholder series that I have read. Obviously, I have been missing some good reading. Her Last Breath begins with a buggy accident in an Amish community in Ohio. A man and two children are killed and a third child is seriously injured. When police chief, Kate, arrives at the scene she realizes that it is the family of her Amish friend, Mattie.

What unfolds is a very emotional, dramatic murder mystery. I was impressed with the way Castillo presented the story, drawing the reader in and making you eager for justice. She writes very much in the style of Lisa Scottoline but better. Even though another case and Katie's love life are part of the story, they enhance rather than detract from the criminal investigation. I don't like when side stories fill pages with distraction.

Her Last Breath is the fifth in this series but it stands well alone. Not having read the others, it was easy to fill in the blanks and follow without knowing too much of Katie's history. If I have the opportunity I will read some of the earlier books in this series.

Anyone who loves a good mystery or Amish stories will completely enjoy this page-turner. It reads like a good movie and was over far too soon.
Becky M. (Crumpler, NC)

The Best Yet
I have read Linda Castillo's previous four books in her Amish thriller series, and Her Last Breath is the best yet. I tried to decide why I feel that way and have determined that it has more to do with her empathy and insight into human nature than it does with the "thriller" aspect. The novel did keep me guessing until the end, that is for sure. But I was especially moved by Castillo's depth of thought and her honest approach to the conflicts that exist in the hearts of the Amish people.

The plot is enhanced by the unfinished business of previous novels, so I would recommend that the reader be familiar with the stories that precede this novel. The new mystery is resolved, but the fallout from the earlier story will only make the reader more anxious for book six ... not a bad tactic on Castillo's part.

Orange World and Other Stories
    by Karen Russell
    Karen Russell has a tremendous gift for crafting uncanny, through-the-looking glass worlds that are ...
  • Book Jacket: The Book of Longings
    The Book of Longings
    by Sue Monk Kidd
    The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd follows the life of Ana, a woman born in the Galilean city of ...
  • Book Jacket: Master Class
    Master Class
    by Christina Dalcher
    Christina Dalcher's Master Class shows America sleepwalking into a perfectionist eventuality not ...
  • Book Jacket: How to Pronounce Knife
    How to Pronounce Knife
    by Souvankham Thammavongsa
    Many examples of immigrant fiction dedicate a portion of their storytelling to exploring details of ...

The Prisoner's Wife
    by Maggie Brookes

Inspired by the true story of a courageous young woman who enters a Nazi POW camp to be with the man she loves.

Daughter of the Reich
    by Louise Fein

A spellbinding story of impossible love set against the backdrop of the Nazi regime.

The Paris Hours
by Alex George

One day in the City of Light. One night in search of lost time.

Win The House on Fripp Island

The House on Fripp Island
by Rebecca Kauffman

A taut, page-turning novel of secrets and strife.

B I T T Water