Reader reviews and comments on Children of the Jacaranda Tree, plus links to write your own review.

by Sahar Delijani

Jun 2013, 288 pages
    Jun 2014, 288 pages

There are currently 40 reader reviews for Children of the Jacaranda Tree

Judy (02/16/13)

Only 33 pages into it
It was difficult for me to take a deep breath through the first 52 pages of this novel. I was drawn into the intensity of place, emotions, and happenings that were carefully crafted. I wanted to keep reading to know that things would get better. They did but only in small doses but those were cherished. I found it difficult at times to keep characters straight....not being familiary with Iranian names. I also am not a fan of novels that skip back and forth between time frames. That said I found myself wanting more and more to learn the resolution within the families.

The ending was false for me. It seemed too easy yet honest. I had to turn back pages to remember who the two profiled in the end actually were. Children of children of children. Cousins and cousins and cousins. This was a novel that filled me with angst for the characters. I also learned some history lessons that were new to me. Good read overall.
Chris W. (Temple City, CA) (02/15/13)

Beautiful debut
This multigenerational, heartbreaking story of families in post-revolutionary Iran is mesmerizing and beautifully written. Imprisonment, torture, execution, constant fear, and families torn apart are difficult to read about; and yet there is also hope and love among the family members and "proof that it's possible to reconstruct something beautiful out of devastated debris." Such a personal look into their lives motivates me to learn more about Iran. There is much here to discuss by book club members.
Robin M. (Newark, DE) (02/15/13)

Read it in 4 Days!
I am always intrigued by books about the Middle-East and have enjoyed reading biographies and memoirs since my childhood. Children of the Jacaranda Tree was no exception. This book grabbed my interest on the first page, and I read 60 pages before putting it down that first time.

Delijani's writing is often lyrical, almost poetic, and although she is describing sometimes horrible events, the story is beautifully written. Delijani's descriptions of the settings are among the best I've ever read.

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy books about the Middle-East and biographies/memoirs, and I would read other books that Delijani writes.
Caroline R. (New Canaan, CT) (02/14/13)

Children of the Jacaranda Tree
This is a multi-generational story about the inhumane and tragic treatment of people in post-revolutionary Iran. The presence of so many characters and so much suffering made it difficult to follow at times. I liked that the story started and ended with Neda with a spark of hope...
Ariel F. (Madison, WI) (02/14/13)

Gripping debut novel
I found Children of the Jacaranda Tree to be a gripping story of what happened in the Iranian revolution after the Shah was over thrown. I felt that while this was a novel, the author based it on what she had really heard that had happened to either family members or friends.
It was challenging reading due to some of its emotional content, beginning with a mother going into labor in a van on the way to prison. While many of the characters in the novel lived in fear, they were determined to make a good in spite of everything.
I would recommend this book to book clubs as a good discussion book.
Lori L. (La Porte, IN) (02/13/13)

Children of the Jacaranda Tree
Although this is a deeply sad book, I did enjoy it. It reminded me, in a way, of "The Kite Runner" in that it offered insight into the lives of individuals living under a brutal, repressive regime in the Middle East. The only thing lacking in this book was a sense of what life was like prior to the beatings, imprisonments, torture and death, so we know what the revolutionaries were fighting for. I would recommend this book to book clubs, particularly those with an interest in other cultures or historical fiction.
Elizabeth D. (LONGBOAT KEY, FL) (02/13/13)

Avid reader
What an amazing debut novel. Not only is the writing extraordinary, the story is one that is not well known in the west - the consequences of the ongoing Iranian revolution. It starts with the gripping story of a young woman imprisoned for speaking out against the new regime in 1983. The horror of giving birth as a prisoner serves to illuminate the methods of torture, physical and emotional. Fear is the underlying emotion of a society held hostage by its ruling class. Who can be trusted? The story goes on the describe the differences in responses of three generations to unthinkable and unpredictable methods of repression. While the story is heartbreaking in part, most of all it describes the perseverance of the human spirit determined not to be destroyed even by those will kill anyone who dares to question or speak out. Love, hope and resilience guide those who make a life in spite of the fear. Highly recommended. A beautiful book.
Nancy L. (Zephyrhills, FL) (02/11/13)

Children of the Jacaranda Tree
This book, "Children of the Jacaranda Tree" captured my heart at the first paragraph and held it hostage until the very last line. The story of the women and children of post-revolution Iran was at times, gripping and intense, and at other times sweet. I felt I was there with them, seeing and feeling what life was like for them in a city torn apart by extremists. I loved the writing. It was clear and descriptive and pulled me along to follow the journey of these women and children as they grew and matured. I highly recommend this book!

Evin Prison

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All