What readers think of A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, plus links to write your own review.

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

by Dave Eggers

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers X
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

Feb 2000, 416 pages
    Feb 2001, 464 pages

There are currently 23 reader reviews for A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

Candice

I Love Memoirs
I may be a bit biased because I am a fan of the "memoir movement".I realize not everyone is into this kind of thing and that's cool. I also think that memoirs are the truest form of literary art due to the fact that the author is not going through any other means. I love fiction, but the author is essentially expressing his or herself through another character. In this book, however, the author lays himself out in perfect honesty. I have true respect for this book and its author.
Lizzayyyyy

hilarious, awesome read. touching.
Royal J. Cumings

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius is indeed a heartbreaking work of staggering genius. Many of this generation who were forced to grow up too quickly will find Mr. Eggers' stew of prose to be a kindred to their own. This is one of the best and most original books I've read.
Brianne

A Hearbreaking Work is one of the most powerrful works of literature i have ever read. Eggers imagination and vivid storytelling skills are incredible. The fact that he follows his train of thought with such confidence is what makes this book a beatiful work.
Marissa

This book is soooo good. I know it sounds corny, but it really made me realize i wasn't alone in some of the things i do. I, too, have a younger brother who I helped raise, and before reading this book i felt as if some of the feelings i had were so ridiculous. Like... when Eggers talks about how he would check every night to make sure his brother was breathing. I did that too! I don't know...maybe it's still weird, but it still feels better to know that someone else did that too. I'm 17, but i think people of every age would really like it. I love this book, and strongly advise anyone to read it. Dave Eggers has this incredible knack for describing things. While reading this book, i could smell the smells and see the sights sooo clearly.
crist

dave eggars is an amazing writer. "ahwosg" is so captivating, it is impossible not to love. read it!!!
Kassandra Jade

I didn't simply read the book, it was more like the book read me, it controlled me to the point where I could not put it down. It's a container of emotions, and every time I opened it they all splurged out, blended, and captivated me.
Kristina

Loved the book. Intelligent without that cool detachment. Moving without being melodramatic.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Paradise, Nevada
    Paradise, Nevada
    by Dario Diofebi
    In Dario Diofebi's novel Paradise, Nevada, the neon allure of Las Vegas is pulled back to reveal ...
  • Book Jacket: Things We Lost to the Water
    Things We Lost to the Water
    by Eric Nguyen
    Spanning over 30 years, Eric Nguyen's debut novel Things We Lost to the Water is epic in scope but ...
  • Book Jacket: The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    by Dawnie Walton
    Within the general arc of many well-established and chronicled historical events is oral history's ...
  • Book Jacket: Monkey Boy
    Monkey Boy
    by Francisco Goldman
    Francisco Goldman's Monkey Boy exists in the liminal space between memoir and fiction. Like Goldman ...

The Book of Lost Names
by Kristin Harmel
A heartrending novel of survival, inspired by an astonishing true story from World War II.

Morningside Heights
    by Joshua Henkin

A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

Win This Book!
Win Together We Will Go

Together We Will Go
by J. Michael Straczynski

A novel as much about the will to live as the choice to end it.

C T T Chase