Reader reviews and comments on The House at the End of Hope Street, plus links to write your own review.

The House at the End of Hope Street

Tamara Ellis Smith

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The House at the End of Hope Street

JKC

Wonderful!
I love all books by this author. They show how we can give hope and help. Her characters are complex and often troubled, but all story threads are magically sewn together.
Louise J

Absolute Magic!
A magical book, an enchanted house, a cast of characters who previously lived there but remain on the walls in photographs to be talked to whenever the desire strikes you. Florence Nightingale, Agatha Christie and Sylvia Plath to name a few. This whimsical house lives and breathes, the walls moving in and out like a heartbeat, the lampshades bowing to get a closer look at you. The mysterious and magical 82-year-old Peggy who runs 11 Hope Street is a kind and wise woman.

Fans of Sarah Addison Allen will love this novel. I put it in the same category as Allen’s novel and the book Night Circus. A beautifully written, happy, magical story that is a very rare treat! A book you won’t want to see end. Alba, Carmen, Greer, Stella and Peggy are characters I won’t soon forget. They are all there for different reasons and the house knows exactly what each woman needs.

I lived at 11 Hope Street from the time I read the first chapter. I couldn’t have forced myself to leave even if I had wanted to. I loved the happiness, the love, the caring and the warmth the house enveloped me in. The house knows what you need. You may think you need one thing but the house won’t give it to you unless you really do need it. It’s the house that decides and does and provides you with what you truly and sincerely need in your life.

I will be keeping this as part of my permanent collection and am going to read it again before I put it away on my shelf for a while, that’s how much I enjoyed this book and I know you will too. I highly, highly recommend this book for everyone. If I could rate it at a one thousand, I would! For a debut novel, this is an unbelievable story, a story you’ll absolutely fall in love with.
Diane S.

The House at the end of Hope
Loved this book. Magical, quirky, enchanting I could go on. All books do not have to be literary fiction, sometimes it is just so comforting to read a book that is fun, with some great characters and an important message, all couched in the most wonderful way. Dorothy Parker, Sylvia Plath, many of literature greats as well as feminist icons are all present, speaking and helping the woman who are called to this house. Even the cups and saucers change pictures daily, the walls laugh and messages float down from the ceiling meant for those who need them the most. Feel almost like a child reading a wonderful book for the first time. Absolutely super!

Sister Acts

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: His Only Wife
    His Only Wife
    by Peace Adzo Medie
    21-year-old Afi is a talented Ghanaian seamstress eager to study fashion design, but her life is ...
  • Book Jacket: We Have Been Harmonized
    We Have Been Harmonized
    by Kai Strittmatter
    You'd be forgiven if, while reading We Have Been Harmonized, you momentarily mistook it for a ...
  • Book Jacket: Jack
    Jack
    by Marilynne Robinson
    If you are a fan of Marilynne Robinson's Gilead series, you already know who Jack is. Chances are, ...
  • Book Jacket: Migrations
    Migrations
    by Charlotte McConaghy
    Migrations, Australian author Charlotte McConaghy's literary fiction debut, earned a notably high ...

Ruthie Fear
    by Maxim Loskutoff

In this haunting parable of the American West, a young woman faces the violent past of her remote Montana valley.

A Girl is A Body of Water
    by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi

A powerful portrait of a young Ugandan girl and her family.

Find Me
by André Aciman

The author of the worldwide bestseller Call Me by Your Name revisits its complex and beguiling characters.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C