Reader reviews and comments on A Possible Life, plus links to write your own review.

A Possible Life

Elena Spagnolie

There is 1 reader review for A Possible Life

Karen

A Pointless Life
This book was a huge disappointment to me. I think, first of all, that is was mis-named. It should have been called, "A Pointless Life". I found myself hoping that one of the characters would have a more positive outcome, but every character was left lonely and essentially loveless. Jeffrey was such a likeable character, and I wanted so much to read about him finding purpose in his suffering. Instead, he was left alone with no sense of connection to anyone. The young lad who grew up in a work house and went on to own property really seemed to be headed in the right direction, but he became disconnected from the people around him. The story about the young girl who later became a ground-breaking neuroscientist was another study in lost love and disconnection. Jan, the nanny who cared for other people's children, seemed to have no real connection to anyone. And Jack/Freddy was a tragic character who loved someone deeply and lost her for no apparent reason. I found myself shaking my head and wondering why I had wasted my time.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: A Girl is A Body of Water
    A Girl is A Body of Water
    by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi
    First Impressions readers were fascinated by A Girl Is a Body of Water, a riveting and nuanced novel...
    Heaven, My Home
    by Attica Locke
    Attica Locke's 2017 novel Bluebird, Bluebird introduced us to Texas Ranger Darren Mathews, who ...
  • Book Jacket: Transcendent Kingdom
    Transcendent Kingdom
    by Yaa Gyasi
    Yaa Gyasi's (pronounced "yah jessie") Transcendent Kingdom is, among other things, a meditation on ...
  • Book Jacket: We Are Not Free
    We Are Not Free
    by Traci Chee
    Author Traci Chee is best known for her young adult fantasy trilogy, The Reader series. We Are Not ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

The Shadow King
by Maaza Mengiste

An unforgettable epic shortlisted for the 2020 Booker Prize, and named a best book of the year by the New York Times.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C