Announcing Our Best Books of 2021

What readers think of Me Before You, plus links to write your own review.

Me Before You

Jul 2013, 400 pages

Norah Piehl

There are currently 5 reader reviews for Me Before You

Cloggie Downunder

Me Before You is the first book in the Me Before You series by award-winning British author, Jojo Moyes. Louisa Clark’s café wages are much relied-upon: her mum, Josie is the stay-at-home carer for Granddad; all of her sister Katrina’s pay goes to bringing up her own young son; and her dad Bernard’s job at the furniture factory is looking less secure every day. So when the Buttered Bun closes down, Lou needs another job pronto. She’s never worked as a carer before, but the pay’s better than at the chicken processing plant, and Lou’s been assured there’ll be no wiping of, you know, required (there’s a trained carer for that stuff).

Camilla Traynor has told Lou she’s basically needed as a companion for her son, Will, who is a quadriplegic since a traffic accident two years ago. But Will’s anger, his mercurial moods, his negativity, these are an unpleasant, if understandable, surprise for Lou. She’s determined to stick it out: she can’t afford to lose this job. But Camilla hasn’t been entirely honest. Before long, Lou discovers the truth, and finds herself doing her utmost to bring enjoyment into Will’s life.

For anyone who has even glanced at the remarks on the cover of later editions of this book, the trajectory of the story and the ending will be predictable, but such is the quality of the characters Moyes creates, and their dialogue, that most readers will not be able to resist reading to the end, although this, as many advise, is best not read in public. And before that end is reached, there are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments and the odd surprise or two.

The novel is mostly a first-person narrative told by Lou, but with occasional (clearly denoted) chapters from the perspective of other significant characters. Moyes tackles several topical and divisive issues: voluntary euthanasia and the right to die; how quality of life is dependent on perspective; the stigma attached to being disabled, the patronising attitudes encountered and the attendant, if unintentional, discrimination suffered. Ultimately a heart-wrenching love story, this novel is also funny and thought-provoking.
Stephanie D.

Me Before You
I never write book reviews but felt I had to express how I just loved this book! I have a hard time sticking to a book and found that I couldn't put this one down.
I enjoyed all of the characters and find myself thinking about them throughout the day even after having finished the book a few days ago.
I am part of a book club and if there were ever a chance to talk to this author by phone or have her as our guest at one of our meetings we would be overjoyed.
By far, the best book I have read in a long, LONG time.
Louisa is such an inspiration.
Dorothy L

A Wonderful Book
I love this book. I was reluctant to read it at first because of the subject matter. It was one of my book club's selections and I think it is a wonderful book--gripping story and well written. It starts slowly and builds dramatically. When you get to the last fifty pages or so, you can't put it down. The characters are all very well drawn--the minor ones as well as the protagonists. The issues raised are very important. I cried at the end. This is truly a memorable book!
Louise J

Couldn't Put It Down!
I didn’t expect the ending of this book at all, it was quite a shock to me to be quite honest and I cried for about ten minutes. The author has done a fantastic job at penning this novel and you won’t be able to put it down once you’ve started and I was sorry to see it end. I’ll definitely be recommending it to family and friends.
Diane S.

Me before you
Finishing this book on the 40th anniversary of the passing of Roe vs. Wade almost seems ironic. The heart of this novel also concerns a pressing moral issue, one I will not comment on nor state which side of the debate I would be on. Louisa and Will Traynor are memorable characters, fully developed wonderful characters dealing with things I hope I never have to. This type of book can easily verge on the maudlin and over dramatic and it is to this author s credit that it did neither. Their was humor, their was love, and almost every other emotion one could imagine. I was emotionally involved, though I could see both side of the issue and I am still not sure which side I would have fallen on. This was in all ways a wonderful book, a heartfelt and heartbreaking book, a book that should be read.

Dignitas

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

People from My Neighborhood
    by Hiromi Kawakami
    People from My Neighborhood is exactly what it sounds like — an unnamed narrator recounts a ...
    Win Me Something
    by Kyle Lucia Wu
    Kyle Lucia Wu's Win Me Something opens with a young woman named Willa explaining that she did not ...
  • Book Jacket: The Island of Missing Trees
    The Island of Missing Trees
    by Elif Shafak
    The Island of Missing Trees by Elif Shafak tells a tale of generational trauma, explores identity ...
  • Book Jacket: The Correspondents
    The Correspondents
    by Judith Mackrell
    In the introduction to The Correspondents, author Judith Mackrell points out that although there had...

True Crime Story
    by Joseph Knox

The #1 international bestselling novel. What happens to all the girls who go missing?

Great political questions stir the deepest nature of one-half the nation, but they pass far above and over the ...

I Y Can't S T H, G O O T K