Reader reviews and comments on Gone Girl, plus links to write your own review.

Gone Girl

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 17 reader reviews for Gone Girl

Laura S.

A great read!
Gone Girl is both a work of literary fiction and a page turner at the same time. It reminded me of the work of Patricia Highsmith. I feel like it could be a modern day Hitchcock film. Loved every page.
mainlinebooker

Don't plan on sleeping
I adored this book..the writing, the twists and turns of the plot kept me up until 1am because I just wanted to keep reading..This one is a winner!
Joni

Great start-terrible ending
My daughter advised I read this book. I found the book riveting...as she said I would. I thought I had 50 pages left...and suddenly I was on the last page...with the worst ending I could have imagined. The characters were all losers in the end. Yuck! So glad I read the book so I don't have to watch the movie. Reminded me of the book "One Day".
Vivian Harrington

Mind Candy
Gone Girl is the break out novel by Gillian Flynn that has received a significant amount of press and adulation since it was published last summer. Gone Girl is what I term “mind candy”, a novel of suspense that also causes one to suspend all concept of reality. +

Gone Girl is written in three parts and attempts to portray the dark side of human nature in the psychological dysfunction of marital relationship after the wife disappears on the couple’s fifth wedding anniversary.

Amy Elliott and Nick Dunn met, courted and married in New York City. Amy came from a background of privilege and some notoriety as her parents had authored a series of books about “Amazing Amy”, which chronicled an idealized Amy through her childhood and school years. Nick grew up the only son of a middle class family in Middle America.

After Amy disappears, suspicion falls on Nick, because as the husband, he is the most likely suspect.

This was a quick read and I found the first half of the book to be a suspenseful page-turner. I like Ms. Flynn’s writing style. It flows well and I plan to read one of her earlier novels. However, none of the characters in this book are appealing. None are likeable. I felt no empathy for any of the persons portrayed.

By the time I was into the second half of the book, I predicted where the narrative was going and it lost me. While it was clever and clear that Ms. Flynn had conducted some research on sociopathic personalities, the story became too contrived, too convoluted, well beyond the most outrageous headlines of tabloid news. (except maybe “Batboy”). I’ve worked in insurance claims for more than 30 years and have seen a lot of things that one just could not make up. But, Gone Girl left me shaking my head.
techeditor

The end should be rewritten.
Right up to the second-from-last page GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn should be rated 5. Every page of the book builds more and more tension. It really is the best kind of book: unputdownable.

But the end: Other reviewers have said that it comes as a surprise. True. But I didn't like it. It is as if Flynn couldn't think of an end to the story so just stopped.

The end should be rewritten.
Ernst

Pointless, but written with style.
It took a certain degree of poking to get me to read this, and having done so, I wonder why I did. It's not bad - it's just utterly pointless. The story goes nowhere, the lead characters are without any kind of depth, just mechanistic extrapolations of the stereotypes from which they are carved. Is it about dishonesty, well, yes; but given the genre that isn't exactly news. Is it about revenge? Again, yes, but not in way that hasn't been covered in greater depth and passion many times before. Where it does work, at least to a degree, is as a critique of media reporting of murder and kidnap.

Once the big reveal is reached however, I wouldn't waste you time reading further; the ending is... pointless indulgent waffle. And that's being generous.

It avoids 1-star rating by being better than Twilight.
Rene G

Disappointment
I was really engrossed in the book; I couldn't put it down. Now I wonder why I wasted so much time reading it. The ending was very disappointing. I expected better.
CWWJ

A savage disappointment
What a waste of a clearly skilled writer's talent. To destroy a creepy, suspenseful novel with such an awful ending is simply unforgiveable. In spite of its dreadfully illogical plot, Gone Girl was a page-turner until we turn the last page, when the reader must say "What???" A savage disappointment!

The Missing

• Book Jacket: Unsheltered
    Unsheltered
    by Barbara Kingsolver
    Willa Knox's house is falling down. She recently inherited a Victorian residence in Vineland, ...
  • Book Jacket: Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...
  • Book Jacket: The Boneless Mercies
    The Boneless Mercies
    by April Genevieve Tucholke
    The Mercies are assassins, part of a long tradition of killers who serve to end the suffering of the...
  • Book Jacket: Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen
    Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen
    by Sarah Bird
    Sarah Bird's historical novel, Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen, imagines, with a grand flourish, ...

Code Girls
by Liza Mundy

The riveting story of the USA's courageous and accomplished WWII female American code breakers.

Gone So Long
    by Andre Dubus III

Dubus' first novel in a decade is a masterpiece of thrilling tension and heartrending empathy.

Win Gone So Long

Andre Dubus III's First Novel in a Decade

A masterpiece of thrilling tension and heartrending empathy.

G H E Rope A H Will H H