Reader reviews and comments on City of Women, plus links to write your own review.

City of Women

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 4 reader reviews for City of Women

Anita

What would you do?
I read this book based on BookBrowse review and was glad that I did. This is a story of a German housewife in Berlin during WWII whose soldier husband is away fighting. Life in Germany during this period of time, is something that is rarely told. It describes how she copes and endures all the hardships and bombings from Allied warplanes and daily criticisms from from a soured, old mother-in-law. She becomes sexually involved with a mysterious stranger and this love affair entangles her in something she never would have done at any other time. I found this book to be very revealing about motives, desires, selfishness and bravery. I felt the story was about ordinary people and the decisions they make about what they see happening before their eyes. It made me ask myself 'What would I do' under these circumstances, and my answer is 'I don't know'. This book gave me a different understanding of the German people. I only wish there had been more of them like the heroine of this book.
Linda Miller

City of Women
An amazing book with little known facts about an underground movement during WWII to move the Jewish people out of German by the German women, some of whom their husbands, sons and brothers or lovers were serving in the German army. They risked their lives under the darkness of the air raid sirens and the blackouts, secret meetings with sympathetic German Government officials for traveling documents, and roaming troops of German soldiers to move the Jewish people from house to house, room to room and train to free country without thought of being found out and facing the firing squad and certain death. Amazing read.
Becky H

The City Of Women
I started this book with great hope for a fascinating read. Kirkus and the New York Times promised a tale of love and intrigue. By the 100th page I was bored and didn’t like any of the characters. Sigrid seemed especially shallow. The plot hadn’t appeared yet and I quit reading. Sorry.
techeditor

a disappointment
CITY OF WOMEN was a disappointment. The dialog and many of the situations are just plain corny. The story is loaded with convenient coincidences. The woman who helps hide Jews in World War II Berlin is, at the same time, a tramp who can't get enough sex, then pretends to be shocked about others' sexual experiences.

The author said he wanted to put ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances. But that's not what this book is. These people are not ordinary; they're unrealistic and ridiculous.

The Bombing of Berlin

• Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Leonardo da Vinci
    by Chloe Benjamin
  • Book Jacket: The Kites
    The Kites
    by Romain Gary, Miranda Richmond Mouillot
    Published by New Directions for the first time in English, Romain Gary's The Kites tells a story of ...

Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig

The Chalk Man
    by C. J. Tudor

Relentlessly compelling psychological suspense. The must-read thriller debut of 2018.

Win Mothers of Sparta

Mothers of Sparta: A Memoir

Sorry, we do not currently have an active wordplay!