MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on A Land More Kind Than Home, plus links to write your own review.

A Land More Kind Than Home

by Wiley Cash

A Land More Kind Than Home

Apr 2012, 320 pages
    Jan 2013, 336 pages

There are currently 39 reader reviews for A Land More Kind Than Home

Jennifer B. (new castle, in) (03/05/12)

Jens review
The story started slow but soon picked up speed. Wonderful character development. I would have liked to have had the preacher and Julies version of the events. The glimpse inside that relationship was far too brief. This is a book that makes you think about religion and secrecy and how bad that combo can turn out. I was thinking about this story long after I finished the book. I look forward to future books by Wiley Cash. Thanks BB for the opportunity to review this novel.
Daniel A. (Naugatuck, CT) (03/04/12)

A Must Read
I finished this book and I must say I am spellbound. I knew it was going to be a good read right from the cover, but once I read the first chapter of 22 pages, I knew this one was an exceptional read and one that won't let me escape its grip until the very last page.

The author is a fine storyteller, and his book will be found in many book clubs to be sure.

Do yourself a favor and read this book! It's a must read and a story that I will not soon forget.
Michele W. (Kiawah Island, SC) (03/03/12)

a land more kind than home
"A Land More Kind Than Home" is a thriller set in a small town in the mountains of rural North Carolina. It is the story of a local church whose practices are extreme and dangerous, and the impact of this unhealthy religion and its sociopathic pastor on one family. The novel starts slowly, but builds to a stunning conclusion. Using three narrators, the author takes an old story and multiplies its impact, effectively building suspense by means of both structure and language. I found myself racing through the book to the next revelation, and finished it in a single day.
Nancy L. (Denver, NC) (03/02/12)

a land more kind than home
So sad to know this book could easily be a true story. In an isolated mountain town, a poor family is taken advantage of by a radical fake pastor. The oldest boy is mute and slow and the mother will do anything to help him - including "casting out his demons" in the church. She is one of those ignorant church members who do not question "Pastor" even when an elderly member died from handling snakes.
The story and characters are so real, you find yourself a part of the community. I hope this author is only beginning to write more books like this. I'll read every one.
Barbie R. (Jamestown, PA) (03/01/12)

A land more kind than home, exceptional debut
I loved this book, Wiley Cash is sure to be a great new force in fiction. The story flowed so easily from all points of view. Appalachian folk voice can be really difficult to capture yet so beautiful when right. Jess is a backwoods boy dealing with good vs. evil. Is the Preacher right when what he does seems so wrong? A book of love, loss, and beauty.
Lea Ann M. (Seattle, WA) (02/29/12)

a land more kind than home
I received this book in the mail yesterday and finished reading it today; it's that compelling. The author uses three voices to tell his tale, a young boy, an elderly woman, and a middle-aged sheriff. Wiley Cash captures the spirit of each of his narrators splendidly. I am an elderly reader myself, but could identify with each of these 3 disparate persons as I believe readers of most ages can. It's not a children's book, but almost anyone else will be able to identify with at least one of the main narrators. The transition between these 3 persons is seamless and the story loses nothing by alternating between them. The book is filled with pathos, suspense, human interest. Well done, Mr. Cash. I look forward to your second book.
Dorothy M. (Maynard, MA) (02/28/12)

Evil comes in many Guises
In A land More Kind than Home, Wiley Cash tells the story of a church community in the mountains of North Carolina in the grip of a self-styled pastor who appears to fancy himself a god. The story is told through the voices of three people - an old woman from the church, the sheriff who is outside the community of the church that covers its windows with old newspapers to keep people from seeing what is happening inside, and a 9 year old boy whose family is the most affected by the religious fanatic. The writing is exceptional; the descriptions evocative of time and place; the voices pitch perfect. From the first sentences, this was a book I couldn't put down. It is an amazing first novel.

• Book Jacket: The Never-Open Desert Diner
    The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
  • Book Jacket: The Vanishing Velazquez
    The Vanishing Velazquez
    by Laura Cumming
    Author Laura Cumming spins out a tale of obsession and ruin in her latest book, The Vanishing Vel&#...
    The Fair Fight
    by Anna Freeman
    Anna Freeman's debut novel, The Fair Fight, highlights the world of boxing in England during ...
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Dark Lady's Mask
    by Mary Sharratt

Based on the life of the first professional woman poet in Renaissance England, and her collaboration with Shakespeare.

H Now B C?