Reader reviews and comments on King Peggy, plus links to write your own review.

King Peggy

An American Secretary, Her Royal Destiny, and the Inspiring Story of How She Changed an African Village

by Peggielene Bartels, Eleanor Herman

King Peggy by Peggielene Bartels, Eleanor Herman

Feb 2012, 352 pages
    Feb 2013, 368 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for King Peggy

Nancy L. (Denver, NC) (11/27/11)

King Peggy
What an uplifting book about the village of Otuam and it's king - Peggy Bartels. Although she has been chosen to be king in Africa, she still works at the Ghanan embassy in Washington as a secretary who uses whatever she has to improve conditions in her village. The elders in her council are used to stealing, drinking, and carousing without limits - and think they can control Peggy because she is a woman who lives in America. When Peggy comes to power, she thinks only of improving her country by bringing education, clean water, and better living conditions. She will remind you of Mme Ramotswe in the Alexander McCall Smith series - a wonderful story set in Botswana. But King Peggy's story is real.

• Book Jacket: Hillbilly Elegy

The Atomic Weight of Love
by Elizabeth J. Church

Mercies in Disguise
    by Gina Kolata

A story of hope, a family's genetic destiny, and the science that rescued them.

Our Short History
    by Lauren Grodstein

The good writer, the great writer, has what I have called the three S's: The power to see, to sense, and to say

O My D B