Reader reviews and comments on A Good American, plus links to write your own review.

by Alex George

Feb 2012, 400 pages
    Feb 2013, 432 pages

There are currently 30 reader reviews for A Good American

Ann L. (Arnold, MD) (12/26/11)

A Good American
This was an interesting 3 generation family saga story taking place mainly in Missouri. It held my attention all the way through with good characters and a story line that had several twists and turns. The author has a smooth easy style of writing which makes it fun to read. There is one especially witty dialogue between two characters who are carrying on a conversation but each one is talking about something else that the other is not aware of. I would highly recommend this as a very enjoyable book to read.
Steve B. (Spring, TX) (12/26/11)

A Tale of American Immigrants & Their Descendants
One of the best generational stories I have ever read. The author, Alex George, is himself an immigrant and he obviously has fallen in love with America. His understanding of the challenges and opportunities experienced by our ancestors upon entry into the United States is evident.
This novel presents the reader with a wide range of emotional highs and lows, joys and tragedies, and examples of good behavior and dastardly acts. It also illustrates how those who work hard are rewarded but also, in the concluding pages; a surprise is revealed about how one character has used crime, deceit and abandonment to create his fortune.
In the Author’s Note, Mr. George tells us why he likes America and in turn caused me to reflect on what I have often taken for granted about how lucky we are that our ancestors chose to be Americans.
Frances B. (Virginia Beach, Virginia) (12/24/11)

A Good American
Alex George's first novel, A Good American, is a well written and highly entertaining book. It left me wanting more long after the last page was finished.

This epic tale of one family's journey from immigrant to Good American is a rare treat. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys writing at it's best.
Helen M. (Petaluma, CA) (12/23/11)

Generations
Alex George told a very ambitious tale and he told it well. We are all immigrants and can relate to so many things that his fictional family, the Meisenheimers, experience. The book is full of love, and tolerance, justices and injustices. It also contains a surprise or two. The title, A Good American, gives us much to think on as the story unfolds. We must ask ourselves the question posed. A good read.
Heather K. (Brooklyn, NY) (12/20/11)

Great First Novel!
Very enjoyable! I give the author a lot of credit for not allowing too much sentimentality to infuse his novel, and for injecting a great dose of humor into his writing! Really, parts were laugh-out-loud funny, and that made the book all that much more fun to read. And kudos to the author, too, for not peppering Beatrice, Missouri with too many "quirky" characters!

The recurring themes in the novel are music and singing; there are times throughout the novel when you can almost hear notes being played and voices raised in song -- a terrific achievement, I think. The plot moves along through the characters lives and individual viewpoints, and there are a couple of unexpected twists in the plot that I didn't see coming (and I like that!!). Definitely recommend this book, and I would certainly read this author again.
Mary S. (Hilton Head Island, SC) (12/20/11)

Entertaining History
Never has American History been presented in such a thoroughly enjoyable, believable and entertaining way. Although fiction, A Good American guides the reader through the years from the mass immigration to America of the early 1900s to the present day by way of a generational story of the Meisenheimer family. The writing style is mesmerizing-- simple, yet eloquent, in drawing the reader into the milieu of small town America. There is laughter, tears and a mystery that one does not easily forget. A Good American is a must read primer on American culture and trends in the last century. It has been a long time since I enjoyed a book as thoroughly as I enjoyed this one!

German Americans

A Gentleman in Moscow
    by Amor Towles

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review