What readers think of The Dry Grass of August, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Discuss |  Reviews |  Readalikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

by Anna Jean Mayhew

The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew X
The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew

Apr 2011, 352 pages
    Apr 2011, 352 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for The Dry Grass of August

Darlene Mour

The Dry Grass of August
This book is very relevant to my growing up in the 50's. Most of our families could not afford maids or servants, but living in a town where negros had to be off the streets at night . Anna Mayhew artfully mades the characters come alive. Jubie's parent's were definitely predjudiced or stupid and Mary and the children were unforgettable. I loved this book and highly recommend it.
Karenr

A gem!
Other readers compared this to the Help so I crossed my fingers that it could meet my expectations as I dove into reading it. It absolutely did and was engaging through the last page. I felt I was right there along side and sharing the emotions of the well-developed characters (my favorite being Juby), during this turbulent time in history. I can't wait to read the author's next book!
Beth

A must read
I knew within 5 or 6 pages that I was going to love this book. If I had the time, I would have read it non-stop. For those who loved The Help, the subject matter is similar, race relations and the relationships that were formed between the characters. It differs in that this story is told by a 13 year old girl, the time is the early 1950's in the south. The family is dysfunctional at best, but the author manages to make us fall in love with some of the characters and abhor others. It is a statement about the times, about being strong enough to act on what you believe in, and in the end, just a well written book that I hated to see end.
Rebecca R

Some People May Like It
I found myself skimming this book in a lot of places. In fact, I was really torn about the difference between a 3 and a 4 for a rating. For me, it was a clear cut 3, and yet I feel it could appeal to a large segment of other women. Something about the dialogue didn't seem seem realistic to me, scenes did not seem to flow naturally. I was very glad I had checked it out at the library and not paid for it!
Jeanne

Truth
This novel could have been a true story of a family, so accurate in it's depiction of segregation and the dysfunction of families trying to control lives and profits.

It is a well written reflection of the 1950's south; ugly prejudices woven into a series of true events which remind us of the injustices of the past.

The issues are important and this novel is a good reminder to remember the times and continue the work of valuing the lives of everyone.
jknapp

The Dry Grass of August
There were so many things I enjoyed about this book. I liked that the story was told from the perspective of a 13 year old girl rather than the adult characters in the story. I think that Jubie was a very bright,stubborn young lady who loved her Black maid, Mary, very much. Mary was the one person who seem to understand and protect Jubie. There was so much to appreciate about Jubie that escaped most of those around her, especially her parents.
Much of this story is disturbing because of the racial climate during this time frame, but it reminds us that racism is learned, that most children are so accepting of others unless adults interfere.
It also points out that it takes courage and character to stand up for the rights of others when it means defying your own family and the way of life they want to protect at the expense of others.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Big Vape
    Big Vape
    by Jamie Ducharme
    In Big Vape, TIME reporter Jamie Ducharme studies the short but inflammatory history of Juul. Her ...
  • Book Jacket: Love and Fury
    Love and Fury
    by Samantha Silva
    Mary Wollstonecraft is best known for being an early advocate for women's rights and the mother of ...
  • Book Jacket: Walking on Cowrie Shells
    Walking on Cowrie Shells
    by Nana Nkweti
    The stories in Nana Nkweti's dexterous debut collection examine the raw alienation of being ...
  • Book Jacket: The Personal Librarian
    The Personal Librarian
    by Marie Benedict, Victoria Christopher Murray
    The Personal Librarian drew a robust positive response from our First Impressions reviewers, ...

The War Nurse
by Tracey Enerson Wood
A sweeping novel by an international bestselling author based on a true World War I story.

Lady Sunshine
    by Amy Mason Doan

One iconic family. One summer of secrets. The dazzling spirit of 1970s California.

The Temple House Vanishing
    by Rachel Donohue

A modern gothic page-turner set in a Victorian mansion in Ireland.

Win This Book!
Win Gordo

Gordo by Jaime Cortez

"Dark and hilarious ... singular and soaring ... Hands down, top debut of 2021."—Literary Hub

N Say N