Reader reviews and comments on The Dry Grass of August, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Discuss |  Reviews |  Readalikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

by Anna Jean Mayhew

Apr 2011, 352 pages
    Apr 2011, 352 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for The Dry Grass of August

Rebecca R (03/13/12)

Some People May Like It
I found myself skimming this book in a lot of places. In fact, I was really torn about the difference between a 3 and a 4 for a rating. For me, it was a clear cut 3, and yet I feel it could appeal to a large segment of other women. Something about the dialogue didn't seem seem realistic to me, scenes did not seem to flow naturally. I was very glad I had checked it out at the library and not paid for it!
Darlene Mour (01/08/12)

The Dry Grass of August
This book is very relevant to my growing up in the 50's. Most of our families could not afford maids or servants, but living in a town where negros had to be off the streets at night . Anna Mayhew artfully mades the characters come alive. Jubie's parent's were definitely predjudiced or stupid and Mary and the children were unforgettable. I loved this book and highly recommend it.
Jeanne (12/13/11)

Truth
This novel could have been a true story of a family, so accurate in it's depiction of segregation and the dysfunction of families trying to control lives and profits.

It is a well written reflection of the 1950's south; ugly prejudices woven into a series of true events which remind us of the injustices of the past.

The issues are important and this novel is a good reminder to remember the times and continue the work of valuing the lives of everyone.
Karenr (12/10/11)

A gem!
Other readers compared this to the Help so I crossed my fingers that it could meet my expectations as I dove into reading it. It absolutely did and was engaging through the last page. I felt I was right there along side and sharing the emotions of the well-developed characters (my favorite being Juby), during this turbulent time in history. I can't wait to read the author's next book!
jknapp (12/06/11)

The Dry Grass of August
There were so many things I enjoyed about this book. I liked that the story was told from the perspective of a 13 year old girl rather than the adult characters in the story. I think that Jubie was a very bright,stubborn young lady who loved her Black maid, Mary, very much. Mary was the one person who seem to understand and protect Jubie. There was so much to appreciate about Jubie that escaped most of those around her, especially her parents.
Much of this story is disturbing because of the racial climate during this time frame, but it reminds us that racism is learned, that most children are so accepting of others unless adults interfere.
It also points out that it takes courage and character to stand up for the rights of others when it means defying your own family and the way of life they want to protect at the expense of others.
Beth (12/01/11)

A must read
I knew within 5 or 6 pages that I was going to love this book. If I had the time, I would have read it non-stop. For those who loved The Help, the subject matter is similar, race relations and the relationships that were formed between the characters. It differs in that this story is told by a 13 year old girl, the time is the early 1950's in the south. The family is dysfunctional at best, but the author manages to make us fall in love with some of the characters and abhor others. It is a statement about the times, about being strong enough to act on what you believe in, and in the end, just a well written book that I hated to see end.

• Book Jacket: The Romanovs
    The Marriage of Opposites
    by Alice Hoffman

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

Falling
    by Jane Green

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All