We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of A Monster Calls, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

A Monster Calls

Stacey Brownlie

There are currently 7 reader reviews for A Monster Calls

nicky69

HImothy
This book was very good and scary.
Sarah T

The end becomes a new chapter.
Stunningly beautiful, but achingly heart wrenching. Conjures up evoking images and allows one's imagination to steam the story ahead. You don't want to hear the next stages, but is necessary - as is the need with grief. The resignation by the book's main character allows him to heal.
A must for anyone going through a similar experience as with anxiety and depression.
Amelie bandy

The monster calls review
I love this book so much and I really recommend it, it is amazing! ??
birdy_2006

I love this book
This books was so enjoyable I was sad it ended so fast. I would recommend this book a 100 percent to my friends.
ellouse

the monster calls
This book is great and always worth a read. I want to stop reading, it is a bit sad and maybe scary for some, but it was a great book from Patrick Ness and every one would love this book! And thank you for reading, have a read of THE MONSTER CALLS it is BRILLIANT !
Eizabeth rose

A Monster Calls
This book is thrilling at the beginning, then is calms for a while, then it changes almost completely! If you like books like that, this book may very well be for you.
Diane S.

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
What an absolutely incredible and heartfelt book. Connor and his monster are unforgettable. Highly recommend. Although this is classified as YA, all ages will find this book and Connor endearing.

The Short Life of Siobhan Dowd

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    by Shubnum Khan
    Shubnum Khan's eloquent and moving debut novel opens in 1932, when a djinn that haunts a house by ...
  • Book Jacket: Transient and Strange
    Transient and Strange
    by Nell Greenfieldboyce
    Throughout her powerful essay collection, Transient and Strange, science reporter Nell ...
  • Book Jacket: Prophet Song
    Prophet Song
    by Paul Lynch
    Paul Lynch's 2023 Booker Prize–winning Prophet Song is a speedboat of a novel that hurtles...
  • Book Jacket: The Frozen River
    The Frozen River
    by Ariel Lawhon
    "I cannot say why it is so important that I make this daily record. Perhaps because I have been ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mockingbird Summer
by Lynda Rutledge
A powerful and emotional coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s by the bestselling author of West with Giraffes.

Members Recommend

Leaving
    by Roxana Robinson

An engrossing exploration of the vows we make to one another and what we owe to others and ourselves.

The Adversary
    by Michael Crummey

An enthralling novel about a small town struggling to survive, and a bitter vendetta between two rivals.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)